Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of San Diego  (Read 1845 times)

Madison

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
University of San Diego
« on: April 09, 2003, 06:03:17 PM »
Does anyone know someone attending or planning to go here?

anon

Re: University of San Diego
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 12:48:28 PM »
Hi Madison,

I graduated from USD law.  What would you like to know?  It's a good school, and San Diego is a great place to live, especially if you like the outdoors.

It can all be sort of expensive, though, between the tuition and an apartment at the beach. 8)

Madison

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 01:55:17 PM »
Hi Madison,

I graduated from USD law.  What would you like to know?  It's a good school, and San Diego is a great place to live, especially if you like the outdoors.

It can all be sort of expensive, though, between the tuition and an apartment at the beach. 8)

I know all about a high cost of living (I'm in L.A.)!

Are the classes small?

What parts of San Diego have nice apartments? I've only been once, so I'm not familiar with the city .

anon

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 12:31:17 AM »
As for the size of classes?  It depends.  The basic first year classes can be somewhat large.  On the other hand, some of the second year or elective classes can be quite small.  I've been in classes with as few as ten people or so.

As for places to live in San Diego?  Well, there are lots of great places.  It really depends on your lifestyle.  Pacific Beach and La Jolla are nice.  So are parts of Mission Beach.
There are other beach cities further up the coast, depending on how far you want to drive: Del Mar; Solana Beach; Leucadia; Encinitas, etc.

The traffic isn't as bad as in LA, but it can be heavy at times.

Madison

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 05:39:15 AM »
Thanks, I'm going to take a trip up to San Diego to check out the campus and apartments.

mike

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 05:09:03 AM »
Were you accepted to USD ? I have still not received a decision from the Unviersity and getting really worried.  What do you think my chances are?  3.7 GPA in computer engineering / 155 LSAT / Lost of extraciricular activities. USD is my number 1 choice and any info would be helpful.

Madison

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 04:49:58 AM »
I haven't applied. I'm in the stage of putting a list of schools together.

With your GPA and LSAT score you should get accepted.

Art

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 07:56:47 AM »
I'm posting this for anyone who has attended or has a good feel for USD

Hello-

I had seen say that he attended USD.  I am from Maryland and considering picking myself up and moving cross-country(got accepted to USD with 14K a year, so money is not as bad as it could be).  I love it here but also think its worth living somewhere else for a little while, since Iíve lived here my whole life.  I thought Iíd take a shot and ask you a few questions that I canít answer myself.  Any answers would be a tremendous help.

Did you know anyone with substantive work opportunities during law school? (Iíd like to make a little money)

How religious does the campus actually feel? (students, professors)Ö I am not particularly religious, and want to go to law school for legal education, not a religious educationÖ

You said it was a good school and a great town, could you describe a few key things that made it a good experience(are you from San Diego?).  

Thanks again for any comments you might have, I went to undergrad at William & Mary, loved it, and USD looks about that same size and a similar feel, but its quite a big step...  

anon

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 08:51:35 AM »
Art,

I'll try to answer your questions.

As for substantive work opportunities?  The school has an active placement center.  As I recall, there were almost always job postings for law clerk positions with local firms.  So, you would probably be able to work for a few hours a week. The school does discourage too much outside work the first year, though, unless you're in the evening division.  In that case, you can work all day, if that's what you want to do.

As for religion?  USD is a Catholic school, but I never thought much about that while I was there.  I wouldn't worry ablout that aspect of the place.

As for why I felt it was a good experience?  Hmm. I went to undergrad school in the middle of NYC, so there was a little bit of culture shock at first.  All in all, though, it was a nice chage of pace.  I'd have to say the outdoor and recreational opportunites in San Diego are outstanding and can provide a good diversion at times.  No one wants to study all the time.  The school itself is fairly laid back.  I'd do it all over again.

Art

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 06:07:10 PM »
Thank you,

your insight is really helpful.  I too am looking for a change of pace, a good education but a laid back atmosphere... just wanted to know I could possibly make a little money part-time in my 2nd and 3rd years... Sounds like you had a good experience there, and it looks like there's a great chance I'll be having a similar experience this fall...

Did you stay in California or go back to NY? just curious how well the degree travels
if you want suggest a professor or two that'd be cool... thanks again

Art