Law School Discussion

*new* LSAT/GPA combo question!

*new* LSAT/GPA combo question!
« on: October 25, 2004, 10:23:15 AM »
I have a kind of disparity between my gpa and lsat. I go to U of I U/C, gratudating with a B.S. in molecular biology and a wonderful GPA of 3.02. My LSAT is a 166 and I've applied to the following 10 schools. I know some of them are kind of a reach all things considered, but I guess the question is: is my range broad enough? should I send in more apps to schools in a lower range? wonderful, thanks guys!

Northwestern U
Emory
George Washington
Boston University
Yeshiva - Cardozo
U of Illinois U/C
DePaul
IIT-Kent
Washington - St. Louis
UCLA

Re: *new* LSAT/GPA combo question!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 02:54:22 PM »
someone validate me! or tell me I'm an idiot. since I don't know many people applying to law school, the objective opinion of strangers does mean a lot. thanks. ;)

BGOM

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 03:10:34 PM »
Also have a look at the lsac's official guide to law schools. It will tell you how many people got into the schools you mentioned with numbers similar to yours. HTH

http://officialguide.lsac.org/docs/cgi-bin/home.asp

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 04:01:02 PM »
as s/o said earlier, ucla prob. not worth it if those are how #'s work out--but BU close to 20%?? that seems like an ideal place to apply as your reach.  the real question is how you came to choose these schools.  there are many others in that range to apply to.  are these the ones that interest you ranging from s/t like 10 to 100 or did you somewhat arbitrarily pick these?

ootme

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 04:06:10 PM »
I would consider DePaul and Cardozo as safeties...you "should" get in to both.

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 05:31:14 PM »
i mean it all depends on circumstances.  if you happen to know you really want to go to, in this case, bu, and you have a 20% chance of getting, why not apply?  i wouldnt just apply to any/every school that a 20% chance, but one r two that really want to attend, sure.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 06:29:38 PM »
as s/o said earlier, ucla prob. not worth it if those are how #'s work out--but BU close to 20%?? that seems like an ideal place to apply as your reach.  the real question is how you came to choose these schools.  there are many others in that range to apply to.  are these the ones that interest you ranging from s/t like 10 to 100 or did you somewhat arbitrarily pick these?

those are the ones I've already sent in, but I guess after all the time and money I've invested, whats the harm in applying to a few more? in case it isn't horribly obvious, I have an intention of studying IP law. But I do know that those interests change, so it's not like I'm applying to schools only with certificate programs. I started out picking law schools in the midwest and sort of branched out. I want to end up working in Chicago, so I'm trying to only consider schools outside my area that are going to carry enough clout to get me a job back home when I graduate. The problem is that there are so many schools to choose from that are in the "decent" range its hard to pick em out. The ones I've already picked appealed to me on some level, some because they're deemed "prostigious," others because I liked how their campus looked from the pictures. I've sort of had enough of living in the sticks the past four years of my life and would like to move into a city. If you guys have suggestions, I'm very open so long as you at least tell me why you like this or that school. Schools I'd like to add are going to be mid-range to reach schools, because if I only get into my lower schools I'm probably going to end up at LUC or Depaul. thanks again. :)

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 06:30:22 PM »
oh, and what's chiashu mean?