Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Take the money or Move up a tier?  (Read 5077 times)

tofccc

• View Profile
Re: Take the money or Move up a tier?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2004, 07:53:53 PM »
Revenant:
I am mid-thirties but no children (unless you count cats). So in that respect the debt is something I can take on with no impact to anyone but myself but I have a few less years to pay the money back. :)

Little old lady and Revenant:
Thank you for your advice. I am going to try to put this on a back burner until I make the trip out there to check both schools out but everyone has given me some great thoughts and a few additional factors to consider.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2004, 11:22:43 PM »
Best of luck with your decision!

Revenant:
I am mid-thirties but no children (unless you count cats). So in that respect the debt is something I can take on with no impact to anyone but myself but I have a few less years to pay the money back. :)

Little old lady and Revenant:
Thank you for your advice. I am going to try to put this on a back burner until I make the trip out there to check both schools out but everyone has given me some great thoughts and a few additional factors to consider.

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2004, 05:08:28 PM »
little old lady:

I also used to think that prior legal experience was just "icing on the cake" as well, but I know that this was the difference maker with me getting into the "Tier 1" school that I discussed.  My experience with this law firm was actually mentioned in the first paragraph of my acceptance letter!  Even when I went to visit, the administration kept asking me about my case work.  It has already made the difference, and according to many other high-profile individuals that I've spoken with, such as the President of the city's Bar Association and two Appellate judges, it will continue to be more than just "icing on the cake".  You must understand, this firm has some serious stroke.  What do you think?

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 05:13:23 PM »
I totally agree that good work experience can help your chance with getting into a good law school.  However, work experience cannot make up for bad grades in law school or lack of good credentials (journal, moot court, etc). 

shortee19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2004, 02:09:58 AM »
"What if you are a student who doesn't have any financial support from mommy, daddy, etc.- and you are trying to decide between a prestigious school in your home city that costs $30K per year vs a solid school, with a full scholarship, that is still in your home state.  And you're not totally sold on working in a big firm.  In fact, at this point you would prefer to work in a smaller, yet still reputable, firm.  By smaller, I mean less than 50 attorneys.  What would you do?

And this is a true dilemma..."

I'm in the same boat as you too. I'm trying to choose between Whittier (Tier 4, offering full scholarship) and Chapman (offering 50% scholarship; just dropped from Tier 3 to Tier 4, but ppl say its looking to break into Tier 2 soon and hasnt been able to just yet because its such a new school). Bar passage rates at Chapman were 70%, now are 50%. at whittier its somewhere between 37% and 50%. I dont want to work in some big firm either; heck im not even sure if i want to practice! so since i dont plan on working at the big places, then im not sure if itll really matter which school i choose. whittier is more established in this area; its been around for years, but everyone knows its Tier 4. whereas Chapman is new so theres less of an alum base, but it has the "name" in my area.
so i dont know what to do either...

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2004, 02:28:04 AM »
"What if you are a student who doesn't have any financial support from mommy, daddy, etc.- and you are trying to decide between a prestigious school in your home city that costs $30K per year vs a solid school, with a full scholarship, that is still in your home state.  And you're not totally sold on working in a big firm.  In fact, at this point you would prefer to work in a smaller, yet still reputable, firm.  By smaller, I mean less than 50 attorneys.  What would you do?

And this is a true dilemma..."

I'm in the same boat as you too. I'm trying to choose between Whittier (Tier 4, offering full scholarship) and Chapman (offering 50% scholarship; just dropped from Tier 3 to Tier 4, but ppl say its looking to break into Tier 2 soon and hasnt been able to just yet because its such a new school). Bar passage rates at Chapman were 70%, now are 50%. at whittier its somewhere between 37% and 50%. I dont want to work in some big firm either; heck im not even sure if i want to practice! so since i dont plan on working at the big places, then im not sure if itll really matter which school i choose. whittier is more established in this area; its been around for years, but everyone knows its Tier 4. whereas Chapman is new so theres less of an alum base, but it has the "name" in my area.
so i dont know what to do either...

How much is it after the 50% scholarsihp?

shortee19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2004, 01:23:25 PM »
their tuition's r pretty much the same ($26,000). so it would cost me $13,000 a year to go to Chapman, but would have to be in Top 30% to keep the scholarship, and it would b no cost to go to Whittier, but would have to b in Top 20% to keep it.

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2004, 01:37:31 PM »
Dang, that's a tough call.  You may want to consider that if you go to Whittier with their full-ride, you may lose it and then end up paying more than Chapman.  You could also lose your half-ride at Chapman but it has a little more cushion space.  I think I would have to recommend Chapman over Whittier then.  Nothing would suck more than having to shell out big bucks for a 4th tier (and top 20% ... so easy to slip to top 25% based on one grade, etc.)

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2004, 03:03:56 PM »
shortee19:

Have you tried to bargain to get those Top 20/30% requirements removed? You should.  Trust me- it works!

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2004, 03:16:52 PM »
shortee19:

Have you tried to bargain to get those Top 20/30% requirements removed? You should.  Trust me- it works!

Wow, if you can get the requirement for Whittier removed, I would probably go with Whittier then.  Considering both are 3rd/4th tier schools, you probably will have to work your way up the payscale so having minimum loans would make you a much happier camper. :)