Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Take the money or Move up a tier?  (Read 5156 times)

explode99

• View Profile
    • Email
Take the money or Move up a tier?
« on: March 31, 2004, 04:55:02 PM »
     Well, I am still pending at some tier 2 schools that I have a decent chance of getting into and I have recieved offers at several tiers 3s, but none offered scholarship.  I recieved an offer at the t4 Florida Coastal and a 10000 dollar a year scholarship on the already cheap (20k a year) tuition.  I dont know if i SHould save myself 10k a year from the scholarship and another 10k a year bc the tuition is so cheap and go to a tier 4 school coming out with 60k less debt, or go to a tier 3 school and possibly get a better job.  The T3 and T4 schools are not so different in median or average salaries for starting.  Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Take the money or Move up a tier?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 05:24:15 PM »
Aside from rankings and money, is there anything else about the law schools that you find appealing or unappealing?

I was wrestling with a money vs. prestige issue, and something I found really helpful was to talk with alumni at both schools.  I asked the admissions people for the contact info of some recent grads, and I chatted with them about how their job searches went, how they felt about their education, how their colleagues viewed their school, and how they felt about their decision.  It was much more informative than guessing and listening to the opinions of other prelaw people.

Good luck!

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 08:22:40 PM »
always go to the best you can get into.

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 08:26:13 PM »
Even if it is halfway across the country, to a school that doesn't necessarily have a national reputation?

I got acepted to Indiana U - Indianapolis with 10K merit schloarship each year; never been to Indiana, and if I did go there, it would largely influence, if not essentially dictate, where I will be practicing to begin with....

hmmmmm...*sigh*

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 08:28:59 PM »
correction: $6,000 merit scholarship, not 10K, to make the record staight.

getmein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 11:31:40 PM »
$6000 in the long run is pennies.  My kind advice would be stick with the best education you can get (I know thats a loaded statement, but factor prestige in as well).  Don't let the money blind you from going to a school that will give you better prospects post graduation.

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 11:40:53 AM »
What if you are a student who doesn't have any financial support from mommy, daddy, etc.- and you are trying to decide between a prestigious school in your home city that costs $30K per year vs a solid school, with a full scholarship, that is still in your home state.  And you're not totally sold on working in a big firm.  In fact, at this point you would prefer to work in a smaller, yet still reputable, firm.  By smaller, I mean less than 50 attorneys.  What would you do?

And this is a true dilemma...

Cherry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 12:02:33 PM »
I am in a similar boat.  I received a scholarship offer from Ohio Northern 15k, Florida Coastal 10k, and Appalachian School of Law full tuition.  I have a couple of schools that I am still waiting to hear from, like the Buffalo.  They offered me a fee wavier if I applied so I am thinking that I should get in.

But when I look at costs, I am leaning more towards Appalachian.  I just canít fathom loading myself with an extra 60 grand in debt for a better school.  Will it really make that much of a difference in 10 years where I went to school?

I am still deciding, I sent in the deposit for Appalachian and have withdrawn my apps at Florida and Ohio.  But I donít know what I am going to do, if a much better school like Buffalo comes along.

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 10:39:37 PM »
Warning take what I write with a grain of salt.  I'm a 3L without a job lined up for after graduation.  I'm in the middle of my class at a top 20 school.  I would probably have a job if I was staying here. 

Okay now that the 'warning' is out of the way (and I don't mean to offend - and you have to know where I'm coming from), I say go to the best you can get into but I in good conscience cannot tell anyone to go to a 4th tier school and I might say the same about a 3rd tier.  The legal market is overcrowded.  Debt sucks (believe me, I know) but not having a job is even worse.  It is simply not worth acquiring top 14 debt for a 3rd tier (probably even a 2nd tier) school.  And even if a 4th tier is cheap, don't forget that time is money.  You're taking yourself out of the labor market for three years. 

Small firms don't pay much at all.  A small insurance defense firm might only pay about $40K and that's where 2nd/3rd tier average grads end up.  How can you pay back $100K on $40K a year?  And from the 4th tier you might not even be able to get the $40K job. 

Lawschool2005

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 10:44:07 PM »
wow thats depressing, u are pretty much saying that if you don't go to a tier 1 school you may as well forget about going at all.