Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oregon's US News Ranking- Tie for 78 WHY???  (Read 2971 times)

tre1160

Oregon's US News Ranking- Tie for 78 WHY???
« on: March 31, 2004, 01:25:32 PM »
 Does anyone know why Oregon is ranked so low?

Here is the info from US News compared to Kentucky (ranked 51).  Oregon actually out ranked UK in the selectivity measures but has a low % grads employed a graduation and a lower % grads employed after 9 months.  I guess that is the main reason for the much lower ranking.  All said, it doesn't really seem like Oregon is much different than UK except that it is ranked 27 places lower.  Does anyone think that UK is that much better than Oregon?  I got into both but I am having a hard time justifying going to UK just because it is ranked much higher.  Any thoughts?

University of Oregon   48 2.8 3.1 3.10-3.60 157-161 37.8% 18.5 52.1% 90.6% 81.8%/OR 81%
University of Kentucky 55 2.6 2.9 3.34-3.73 156-161 33.7% 14.4 76.6% 100.0% 91.7%/KY 82%

freddy51

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oregon's US News Ranking- Tie for 78 WHY???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 01:36:04 PM »
Right now I am attending undergrad at an Oregon college.  I won't disclose which one, but I will tell you that Oregon is considered a solid school in OREGON.  So, if you want to live in Kentucky, consider their law school.  If you want to live in Oregon, go to Oregon's law school.  I am positive that is your best bet.  Neither one carries national prestige.  On the other hand, people in Oregon think more highly of Lewis and Clark Law school.  And you could probably get in there if you got into Oregon. 
Oregon is kind of a hippie school, but maybe you will like that. Fun football rivalry, solid basketball team.  Oregon is beautiful; a great place to spend the rest of your life.  Think of where you want to live before deciding.

freddy51

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 01:37:50 PM »
Also, right now Oregon has a high unemployment rate, and law is not bigtime here.  However if you graduate in the top third to half of your class, there will be no problem finding a job you would appreciate.  Also, it is possible to live cheap here.

DOWNY

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 06:56:17 PM »
Oregon is nice to live in; The area around UK is big-time T.T.T.

noell

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 07:23:03 PM »
Fun football rivalry???  Perhaps, then you must go to Oregon State U.  :D

I went to the U of Oregon, if you're not a hippie, don't smoke weed, don't like hairy legged chicks, then you won't like it! lol.

Right now I am attending undergrad at an Oregon college.  I won't disclose which one, but I will tell you that Oregon is considered a solid school in OREGON.  So, if you want to live in Kentucky, consider their law school.  If you want to live in Oregon, go to Oregon's law school.  I am positive that is your best bet.  Neither one carries national prestige.  On the other hand, people in Oregon think more highly of Lewis and Clark Law school.  And you could probably get in there if you got into Oregon. 
Oregon is kind of a hippie school, but maybe you will like that. Fun football rivalry, solid basketball team.  Oregon is beautiful; a great place to spend the rest of your life.  Think of where you want to live before deciding.

dimitr17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 11:00:44 PM »
after top 14 or so, i believe it's really about where you want to practice law
if you have the grades and scores, it'd be most advantageous for you to attend the best school of that particular state
(e.g., univ of washington for washington, univ of nebraska for nebraska, univ of fla for florida, etc)
UK is THE school in kentucky, so if you like the idea of living in KY it will be a logical choice
UK also has a solid reputation in southern ohio, especially cincinnati, which is definitely not a bad place to live

as far as why oregon is ranked lower than uk, i don't know.
but remember they used to put all second tier schools together without giving them specific ranks until a couple of years ago

noell

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 04:43:52 PM »
I didn't call you Dillon, did I?  If I did, sorry.

ANYWAY, no, I wasn't involved in the outdoors program, however I was on the Marching Band, and in several of the bands there. LOL.  I actually lived in Eugene for 11 years before moving up to Portland.

About NIKE giving money to Oregon, yes, it's true, I remember the joke, people calling it the University of Nike.  lol.  Eugene is becoming more conservative???  Since when??  That's cool, because it was way too liberal for me ... :)

By the way, I know where Veneta is. We used to drive out there from Eugene, because our dog was being trained by some lady that lived there. LOL.

noell

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 05:45:44 PM »
How old are you?  Which high school did you go to?

Me .. I'm 27 ... graduated from South Eugene High in 1995. :)

dunson

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 08:23:42 PM »
just goes to show you that the rankings are an enigmatic attempt to quantify an elusive concept.  seriously, 27 places???  what does this even mean? 

Dillon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 08:38:24 PM »
That was part of a side conversation and some posts were deleted with personal information.

Oregon is a great school.  They have a good Law program but the economy in OR is s(*)y!  Until Oregon figures out how to get rid of the income tax and use a sales tax instead, no companies will move there and create quality jobs.  Thus everybody who lives there pays and you don't benefit yourself by consuming less.... long story but Eugene is a great place to go to school and I miss it a great deal!  They sponsor an environmental Law conference every year.  If I wanted to practice in Oregon I would go to U of O.