Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: need advice  (Read 1504 times)

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
need advice
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:48:55 AM »
i know there are literally hundreds of other posts on this, but i don't give a damn. 

i also underperformed on the october lsat. i scored 9 points lower than what i was getting on practice tests. 

usually, i wouldn't be this candid, but i have to make some decisions very quickly, so i'm going to lay everything on the table.  i've got a 3.84 cum gpa (4.0 at my transfer school - 3.49 from freshman year... we won't talk about that), i got a 160 on the lsat, i'm not an ethnic minority though i do have a somewhat uncommon major in environmental science, i've been doing college debate for four years, and i now my school choices are basically shot because i was pretty much focusing on top 20 schools.  i need some of the best, most realistic schools i could hope to get into with this data.  i'm considering retaking the lsat in december, but i'm not sure yet.  if you know of any schools that focus more on gpa and less on lsat or good schools i might have a chance at, please help!

thanks... here's a drink to drown the sorrows for me and everyone else who did much worse than expected. 

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 05:40:53 AM »
Boalt and the other UC schools are known for looking at GPA...also UNC, I think?  Don't lose hope!  Someone with scores similar to yours got into Boalt; I'm sure you'll get into a great school.  Just make sure the rest of your application is amazing.

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 08:55:17 AM »
i know there are literally hundreds of other posts on this, but i don't give a damn. 

i also underperformed on the october lsat. i scored 9 points lower than what i was getting on practice tests. 

usually, i wouldn't be this candid, but i have to make some decisions very quickly, so i'm going to lay everything on the table.  i've got a 3.84 cum gpa (4.0 at my transfer school - 3.49 from freshman year... we won't talk about that), i got a 160 on the lsat, i'm not an ethnic minority though i do have a somewhat uncommon major in environmental science, i've been doing college debate for four years, and i now my school choices are basically shot because i was pretty much focusing on top 20 schools.  i need some of the best, most realistic schools i could hope to get into with this data.  i'm considering retaking the lsat in december, but i'm not sure yet.  if you know of any schools that focus more on gpa and less on lsat or good schools i might have a chance at, please help!

thanks... here's a drink to drown the sorrows for me and everyone else who did much worse than expected. 

Berkley (Boalt), UCLA, USC all focus on GPA more than LSAT.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 01:47:18 PM »
berkeley gives preference to cal students though don't they?  i've heard it's extremely hard to get in with low lsat and being out of state. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

eeniemeeniemineymoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 10:40:09 PM »
dude, just retake it.  If you've got a 169 in you, show it to 'em.

Submit the app now
write a note that you plan on taking the Dec exam
you can apply to the top 20 schools you dreamed of, as well as some lower ones just in case.
Timing is important.  But if you've got a great GPA and a stellar LSAT, taking the Dec LSAT shouldn't put you so far behind.

Good luck
Going from mush to meringue...

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 05:08:01 PM »
Agreed. Retake. But only if you really think you'll improve a lot.
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder

lexylitstinks

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 05:42:32 PM »
Just GIVE UP NOW MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kisser

• View Profile
Need Major advice
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 12:41:27 PM »
I took the LSAT 3 Times and got 133, 134 and 138 with an undergrad GPA of 2.84. I am now getting a Masters degree in public policy from Goergetown and hopefully plan on taking the LSAT in February of 2006 for the 4th time. Should I just give up my dream of attending law school or take it a 4th time and see if I get in some major advice thakns. Kisser