Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Huge Cache of Explosives Vanished From Site in Iraq  (Read 467 times)

superiorlobe

Huge Cache of Explosives Vanished From Site in Iraq
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:19:34 AM »
From NY Times: "The Iraqi interim government has warned that nearly 380 tons of the world's most powerful conventional explosives are missing from a former military installation."

What the hell kind of operation are we running over there ???  They should have posted a #&$*@^! guard dog, for crying out loud.  I can't believe how much the US is screwing this up.  How the hell do you steal 380 tons of anything, let alone 380 tons of the world's most powerful explosives!!!  AARRGGHH WHAT BLOODY IDIOTS! and from a military installation too...  :'(

texas1

Re: Huge Cache of Explosives Vanished From Site in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 01:05:10 PM »
How the hell do you steal 380 tons of anything,

I don't know but if a few of us put our heads together and figure it out, maybe we can kidnap Oprah and pay for law school...or would that look bad on our apps?

AaronJ

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »
Oprah + Dr. Phil approx.=380 tons

texas1

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 12:58:44 PM »
From NY Times: "The Iraqi interim government has warned that nearly 380 tons of the world's most powerful conventional explosives are missing from a former military installation."

What the hell kind of operation are we running over there ???  They should have posted a #&$*@^! guard dog, for crying out loud.  I can't believe how much the US is screwing this up.  How the hell do you steal 380 tons of anything, let alone 380 tons of the world's most powerful explosives!!!  AARRGGHH WHAT BLOODY IDIOTS! and from a military installation too...  :'(

Interesting that NBC is now reporting that their embedded reporters knew that the explosives were not there when they first arrived there at the start of the war...

In other words, its either a non-issue, ie: no explosives have been "lost" on our watch because they were already moved...

Or its a big issue: ie: if you realize that Saddam could move 380 tons of explosives before the war, then couldn't he hide a few WMD?

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 01:10:51 PM »
Actually the embedded reporter said that they never checked the cache, so they didn't know if there were weapons still in there or not.

"There wasn't a search. The mission that the brigade had was to get to Baghdad. That was more of a pit stop there for us. And, you know, the searching, I mean certainly some of the soldiers head off on their own, looked through the bunkers just to look at the vast amount of ordnance lying around. But as far as we could tell, there was no move to secure the weapons, nothing to keep looters away."

So troops didn't find the facility empty.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 02:07:57 PM »

It's a "stunning success", of course.