Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Im officially screwed.....now i need some advice.....  (Read 11318 times)

domin r rican

• View Profile
Im officially screwed.....now i need some advice.....
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:55:29 PM »
ok, im new to this board.  I took the oct lsat and bombed it really well.  I even took a prep course and studied my ass off but i guess it didn't work.  I go to a good state school w/ a excellent reputaion and my gpa is 3.1 ( got all b's in college, literally).  I've worked on my personal statement since the summer and it awsome (everyone and their mother has helped me w/ it) and my LORs are great too (they let me read them).  Im actively involved in stu orgs too.  All the other parts of my app are solid if not better.  Im really discouraged by my score and i not sure what to do at this point.  I don't want to take this test over b/c im sure i do just as poorly.  I do really bad on standardized tests too.  I sucked at the SAT's as well (but managed to do well in college dispite the fact).  My a urm from NYC, bilingual and 1st generation college grad.  What schools have "conditonal" admissions programs that i should look into?  Should i try to get interviews? Im stuck at this point as you can see.  HELP!   

dr_draino

Re: Im officially screwed.....now i need some advice.....
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 10:59:03 PM »
Reposting with a different title isn't going to make anyone respond to this post:

1)  What exactly constitues "bombed it really well"?  Don't be shy, we don't care.
2)  Everyone thinks their PS is amazing and has had tons of people look at it, and unless one of your LORs is from a famous person or a graduate of the law school, they're probably no better than most.
3)  WTF do you mean by "conditional" acceptance?
4)  Interviews are typically unheard of.

domin r rican

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 11:09:34 PM »
Fair enough, point taken.
 I got a 130, and i guess PS are pretty much subjective so im assessing the quality where i believe it be at currently. I've have about 30 drafts of it.  What i meant by conditional are programs are like rutgers "monority student program" where they look beyond the numbers when reviewing ur app.  I think iowa has a similar program.  Im just trying wondering if it is possible for me to get into a good law school based on my bad score?  Which schools, assuming my app is strong in all other areas, will look past my lsat score?       

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 11:12:20 PM »
unfortunately, I think that is out of the realm of experience of most people on this board.  Sorry.  Maybe others know of this type of program?  Good luck.

LimitsOnLimits

• Meow to you
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 11:18:53 PM »
Are applying to Rutgers Law?  If you are,they give you the choice to apply with primary emphasis on your background and other achievements or just on your lsat and gpa scores.  You have the choice of either one on the application.

Lipper316

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 11:19:42 PM »
Fair enough, point taken.
 I got a 130, and i guess PS are pretty much subjective so im assessing the quality where i believe it be at currently. I've have about 30 drafts of it.  What i meant by conditional are programs are like rutgers "monority student program" where they look beyond the numbers when reviewing ur app.  I think iowa has a similar program.  Im just trying wondering if it is possible for me to get into a good law school based on my bad score?  Which schools, assuming my app is strong in all other areas, will look past my lsat score?       

ok, i mean this in the nicest way possible. You really need to retake the LSAT. a 130, no matter what else is in your application, is not something that the adcoms will overlook. Thats great that u have a kick-ass PS, but when it comes down to it, its all about gpa/lsat. You could apply this cycle, although make sure the schools know that u are retaking....odds are if u pull it up enough, they will disregard your first score if there is a big enough difference between the two.

Good Luck!

domin r rican

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 11:20:49 PM »
Really, if so that would be great!!!  Is Rutgers the only school you know of that gives you that option?  Are you referring to Newark or Camden campus?

LimitsOnLimits

• Meow to you
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 11:29:22 PM »
I know Rutgers Newark does it.  I think Camden as well.

miguel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:54:07 PM »
Oye Domin R Rican -

'Manito, tienes que retomar ese examen. 130 no es aceptable, amigo - sin importar lo demas de tu aplicacion. Tomalo en diciembre, y ponte a practicar! Puedes sacar algo mejor que 140 sin duda - pero practiclo antes!!!!

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 05:03:04 PM »
WTF.   ??? 

If you do get into a law school, be forewarned that the law school might not teach you enough material, in which you will be in a good position to pass the bar exam.  Look at CUNY LS, for years they have admitted students with subpar lsat scores, and their state bar passage rate dropped like dead flies.  Just a warning...
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.