Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it worth it to get an MA/PHD from this school?  (Read 789 times)

bu

• View Profile
    • Email
Is it worth it to get an MA/PHD from this school?
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:51:35 PM »
Hello. I am a Senior at Boston University and am planning to graduate this year with a degree in Economics. I am considering going to law school and am also thinking about just going straight into the working world. I did some research and found out that I can go straight to work and receive my MA and PhD in Economics from this pretty much unknown school (link given below) during the evenings and it will only take me about 28 months in total (and will only cost me about 5 k in tuition).

My question is, is it worth it to get my MA and PhD from this school considering it is basically an unknown, or is the fact that I will get a PhD in Economics impressive as is despite the fact that possible employers probably never heard of the school? I am just wondering if by getting my MA and PhD from this small school, I will have more job opportunities and probably higher salaries than just my BA from Boston University?

Is it worth it or is it just a waste of time to get my PhD from this school:

http://www.lacrosseuniversity.com/doc1/econ.html

Thanks for your advice.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
Re: Is it worth it to get an MA/PHD from this school?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 11:03:37 PM »
Dude!  What does that have to do with law school?   ???
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

bu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 11:39:46 PM »
It doesn't. I just want some advice from a smart group of people.

Also, I did mention I was interested in law school.  ;)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

zeroaffinity

• Sr. Citizen
  • would I ask you a rhetorical question?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 11:59:25 PM »
Hello. I am a Senior at Boston University and am planning to graduate this year with a degree in Economics. I am considering going to law school and am also thinking about just going straight into the working world. I did some research and found out that I can go straight to work and receive my MA and PhD in Economics from this pretty much unknown school (link given below) during the evenings and it will only take me about 28 months in total (and will only cost me about 5 k in tuition).

My question is, is it worth it to get my MA and PhD from this school considering it is basically an unknown, or is the fact that I will get a PhD in Economics impressive as is despite the fact that possible employers probably never heard of the school? I am just wondering if by getting my MA and PhD from this small school, I will have more job opportunities and probably higher salaries than just my BA from Boston University?

Is it worth it or is it just a waste of time to get my PhD from this school:

http://www.lacrosseuniversity.com/doc1/econ.html

Thanks for your advice.

I feel like I'm being snookered here. I guess I'll say the obvious thing and expressly question the credibility of any online PhD program, particularly one that spans a mere 28 months. Most PhD programs at schools with chairs, doors, and professors take 60 months. You don't get something for nothing.

Here's a different perspective: You went to BU instead of Phoenix University for a reason, right? Same thing applies here.

bu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 01:51:27 AM »
Well, would you say it's better than just a BA in Econ, or do you think it will just make my resume look really bad because I got my PhD from an unknown online school?

I figure it can only be beneficial. I won't lose any time because I will be working full-time while going to this school, so isn't it a win-win situation?

bu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 03:54:32 PM »
bump.

zeroaffinity

• Sr. Citizen
  • would I ask you a rhetorical question?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 04:08:49 PM »
Well, would you say it's better than just a BA in Econ, or do you think it will just make my resume look really bad because I got my PhD from an unknown online school?

I figure it can only be beneficial. I won't lose any time because I will be working full-time while going to this school, so isn't it a win-win situation?

You make it sound like a BA and a PhD do the same work. They don't. I'm no economist, but I've been around the block enough times to know that your BA would qualify you as an analyst while a PhD should, theoretically, qualify you as an expert. Most likely a consultant, senior policy analyst/maker, or college professor. However, with your cyber sheepskin you might sneak into a government position or a community college, but you wouldn't get to play with the other PhD's.

If you want the doctorate, then bite the bullet and go to school for five years - the last two are teaching/research anyway. Maybe work 1-3 years until you go, but don't go to a program you'll regret.

This is all I'm going to say on the topic because this is a law school discussion area, but I wish you the best of luck.

dr_draino

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 04:54:13 PM »
This would be the dumbest decision of your life.

bu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 05:15:02 PM »
Actually, I thought the PhD would make my resume look better for the analyst position - not at the teaching level. I don't understand how this PhD will some how hurt me? Please explain...

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 09:07:12 PM »
It would hurt you in the same way that having Patches The Clown's College of the Circus Arts on your resume would. Joke School is joke school. Someone looking to hire a PhD is looking to hire an expert, not just someone with the letters PhD after their name. If analysis is really what you want to do then either start at the bottom and get real world experence eventually working your way up, or go to a real school and get a real degree.