Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: only respond if you have sound LS advice.....  (Read 1492 times)

domin r rican

• View Profile
only respond if you have sound LS advice.....
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:51:24 PM »
ok, im new to this board.  I took the oct lsat and bombed it really well.  I even took a prep course and studied my ass off but i guess it didn't work.  I go to a good state school w/ a excellent reputaion and my gpa is 3.1 ( got all b's in college, literally).  I've worked on my personal statement since the summer and it awsome (everyone and their mother has helped me w/ it) and my LORs are great too (they let me read them).  Im actively involved in stu orgs too.  All the other parts of my app are solid if not better.  Im really discouraged by my score and i not sure what to do at this point.  I don't want to take this test over b/c im sure i do just as poorly.  I do really bad on standardized tests too.  I sucked at the SAT's as well (but managed to do well in college dispite the fact).  My a urm from NYC, bilingual and 1st generation college grad.  What schools have "conditonal" admissions programs that i should look into?  Should i try to get interviews? Im stuck at this point as you can see.  HELP!   

Victor

Re: only respond if you have sound LS advice.....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 06:55:15 AM »
ok, im new to this board.  I took the oct lsat and bombed it really well.  I even took a prep course and studied my ass off but i guess it didn't work.  I go to a good state school w/ a excellent reputaion and my gpa is 3.1 ( got all b's in college, literally).  I've worked on my personal statement since the summer and it awsome (everyone and their mother has helped me w/ it) and my LORs are great too (they let me read them).  Im actively involved in stu orgs too.  All the other parts of my app are solid if not better.  Im really discouraged by my score and i not sure what to do at this point.  I don't want to take this test over b/c im sure i do just as poorly.  I do really bad on standardized tests too.  I sucked at the SAT's as well (but managed to do well in college dispite the fact).  My a urm from NYC, bilingual and 1st generation college grad.  What schools have "conditonal" admissions programs that i should look into?  Should i try to get interviews? Im stuck at this point as you can see.  HELP!   

Hi Domin R rican. I'm in NYC as well. I think its best to post this in the General section.

Your question is "What schools have "conditonal" admissions programs that i should look into?"

Well it depends . . . what did you get on the LSAT? Which school do you attend? did others bomb at your school?

Which prepcourse did you take?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 01:34:04 PM »
what do you mean by "conditional"?  what would the conditions be?

if you can get an official copy of your SAT score, you should send that with an addendum as evidence that you do poorly on standardize tests but do well in classes.  though i should add that this depends on where you're applying.  for many schools, a 3.1 is not a good GPA, so you won't be able to point to it as evidence that standardized exams aren't indicative of your true ability.

if you interview well, you should try to get interviews.  take any opportunity to show your interest in a school and to make your file shine despite your numbers.

victor, are you asking about the prep course out of curiosity?  i don't think that's relevant to his situation, if you're asking as though it would be a factor in the advice you give him.  the LSAT score, his school, and where his score puts him relative to others in the school is relevant information, as is where his GPA puts him relative to his schoolmates.

and what does it mean to "bomb really well"?  you bombed and did well, meaning you did okay?  you bombed really badly?

the post makes me feel like this:  ???
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 01:40:17 PM »
NYLS, they will admit certain applicants on the condition that you take the lsat within a year after admissions.   ;)  Granted NYLS is now a third tier toilet school.  I must have been on crack, even to have considered such a thought of actually atttend their LS. 

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.