Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of '07  (Read 1493 times)

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Class of '07
« on: March 31, 2004, 12:30:29 PM »

I am brand new to this board but a regular contributor to other hobby forums.  Last week i was accepted to Albany LAw School and will be attending in the fall. I am so excited about starting in August and am trying to prepare myself as best I can.  I have read a few Law School type books like Law School Confidential and have seen the paper chase but I am looking for more.

What are you guys doing to prepare?  Anyone taking a course on how to study or speed reading or anything like that?  Like a dog who has been locked inside all day, I am looking for a leg up!

Id love to hear from you all either through this medium or on a personal e-mail basis.  I am 23 years old/male and live in Albany New York. I work at a law firm/title insurance company in Clifton Park NY. 

Well, I'm happy to have found this forum and look forward to future correspondence... i hope this post finds you all in high spirits and eagerly looking forward the exciting but arduous journey we have ahead....

holla-atch-boy
    Corey
    Corli1@aol.com

jgruber

Re: Class of '07
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 01:01:39 PM »
Congrats on the acceptance.  I'm excited about starting in August, too, but in Nashville.

I suspect that  speed reading won't help because those techniques are meant for 'lighter' reading.  The reading we'd be doing is dense and it is important to absorb every detail.

I've just started reading Planet Law School II.  It's interesting and highly recommended by some.  There are number of conversations on this site about how to prepare.  They tend to say 'relax because you'll be worked to death in the fall.'

:)

Lawschool2005

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 04:06:13 PM »
Hi guys, I haven't started ls yet but I have taken some law classes like Criminal Law and others. Some things I would advise you to do to get a heads u are

1. know and understand all the amendments really well.
  2. know the constitution.
  3. Find out what classes are required your first year and what books are going to be used. try and purhase them and start reading.

Law school is really hectic and there is a lota lota reading involved, lol
 If you start learning stuff now you will not be so hopeless when you start. It is a known fact that some first day classes the professor will come in talking about a case and ask you what it means. Imagine how awful you would feel not knowing. :-( don't feel bad though most people won't know but the ones who prepared will know. You will impress your professor if you show that you cared that much about ls to start reading early!!

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 07:17:26 PM »
jgruber - have you started any of the books that PLS2 recommends?  What are your thoughts on the book so far?  I've found the author is very negative, but the books he recommended (I have the Aspen Con law and civil procedures) are pretty good so far. 

ruskiegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 07:29:30 PM »
Schools usually provide you with a list of recommended summer reading.  I wouldn't waste money on speed reading courses, or anything like that.  I think once you begin classes, you will have a more clear picture of what types of study techniques and guides will be useful to you.

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 04:08:44 PM »
I like the book so far, but have only read about 20 pages.  I haven't gotten to the recommended books.

Yes, the author is negative, but in a positive way.   :)

He/she is telling us that much of what we will learn or hear or are told will be bogus, but that there is a way to sort it all out. 

jgruber - have you started any of the books that PLS2 recommends?  What are your thoughts on the book so far?  I've found the author is very negative, but the books he recommended (I have the Aspen Con law and civil procedures) are pretty good so far. 

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 04:33:05 PM »
So you know - there is also a yahoo groups for it that you can sign up to.  It is pretty interesting reading through it (plus the author actually posts and answeres questions).

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 08:41:43 PM »
Planet Law School II.

If you go to yahoo, click on the groups link and search for planetlawschool you can find the group.

Which book are you refering to and where is teh yahoo group located?
   C.