Law School Discussion

Stuck in the Middle

Stuck in the Middle
« on: October 24, 2004, 07:39:08 PM »
I have a dilemma.  I'm concerned that my ho-hum stats will keep me out of the top schools. I have an unspectacular GPA (3.42) from Georgetown and a so-so LSAT (170) with some work experience (as a researcher and a legal assistant).  I'm worried that I can't legitimately shoot for a top tier school.  All of the score ranges look ok LSAT-wise, but my GPA seems to be dragging me down (not much to be done about it now).  Should I stick with tier 2 or stretch for tier 1?   :-\

foxnewssucks

Re: Stuck in the Middle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 07:40:21 PM »
you are tier one... even if you do have pigtails.

superiorlobe

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 07:42:39 PM »
I'd say NYU looks good.  They seem to be pretty lenient in admissions for being a top-6 school.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 07:44:36 PM »
where does top tier stop?  is it like top 25?  top 50?  I'm just trying to get an idea of where to apply......my friends tell me I should be able to get in anywhere, but I think they lie or don't know what they're talking about.

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 07:45:51 PM »
tier 1 is generally considered top 50.  You should be competetive with top 25.  will probably start to get a little iffy in teh top 10, as a very rough guide.

superiorlobe

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 07:49:58 PM »
someone on LSN got into U. Mich & Georgetown with a 3.4/170

Another person in at UVA and Duke with a 3.39/170 -- waitlisted at U. Chicago.

Another person in at the entire bottom half of the T14 and is attending Chicago with a 3.5/170.  Chicago is top 6.

Two more in at Georgetown with a 3.43/170 & 3.42/170

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 07:51:09 PM »
I really think they all just throw darts at a board to figure out who gets in and who doesn't.  I do interviews for Georgetown undergrad and candidates I think are great don't seem to get in.  I'm starting to think that I should just throw darts at a board to decide where to apply, it all seems so arbitrary

superiorlobe

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 07:53:48 PM »
just spend some time plugging your numbers in at www.lawschoolnumbers.com

just noticed a guy on there who turned down UVA, U Chicago, U. Penn and U. Mich in order to go to Notre Dame.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 07:54:14 PM »
I'm a VA resident, so I think I have a shot at UVA.  As a Georgetown alum, I should have a shot there as well.  I just have to figure out what to pick as a "safety"

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 02:41:19 PM »
I have a dilemma.  I'm concerned that my ho-hum stats will keep me out of the top schools. I have an unspectacular GPA (3.42) from Georgetown and a so-so LSAT (170) with some work experience (as a researcher and a legal assistant).  I'm worried that I can't legitimately shoot for a top tier school.  All of the score ranges look ok LSAT-wise, but my GPA seems to be dragging me down (not much to be done about it now).  Should I stick with tier 2 or stretch for tier 1?   :-\

If this is flame, which I think it is, you should apply to Cooley.

If it is not flame, the next person who calls anything 160+ a "so-so" LSAT score, I'm just going to f-ing snap. "98th percentile? Yeah, I did ok." God, you people kill me. I'm almost happy I didn't score my practice average, so I wouldn't say stupid *&^% like this.