Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2005 USNWR Law School Rankings  (Read 13278 times)

cyim123

• Nevada-Reno, BS/CS 3.63 GPA
    • MSN Messenger - cyim123@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 USNWR Law School Rankings
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2004, 05:16:02 AM »
Just along the lines of UNLV, the school just got accredited last year and now they are 82nd on the list.  This suprised me too when I looked at the rankings.  However, Las Vegas will be the next big city on the west coast and there are a lot of donors and money being pumped into the school.  This school will continously go up on the rankings and admission standards will increase.  This is a great school for anyone who wants to shape Nevada into what they would like to see because this state is still young.

Nevada-Reno grad

isaacgames

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2004, 11:10:55 AM »
Rankings are a huge factor in that they are linked to the major decision criteria that are important.  The judges & lawyers as well as peer rankings are good indexes to look at that implicitly tie recognition of the dgree over time to the current ranking,  If a school ranks high despite these, there is obviously something else that is strong about the program.

There is alot of disparity in how the different schools attained their rank.  Anyone who simply bases their decision on rank may be overlooking the specifc criteria that is important to them.

ocelatl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2004, 09:17:52 PM »
Looks like you just lost your men's basketball coach!

Just along the lines of UNLV, the school just got accredited last year and now they are 82nd on the list.  This suprised me too when I looked at the rankings.  However, Las Vegas will be the next big city on the west coast and there are a lot of donors and money being pumped into the school.  This school will continously go up on the rankings and admission standards will increase.  This is a great school for anyone who wants to shape Nevada into what they would like to see because this state is still young.

Nevada-Reno grad
"Freedom without opportunity is the Devil's gift." - Noam Chomsky

IrishGeisha

• Sr. Citizen
  • BA Cornell, MA Sacred Heart, Pepperdine Law in Aug
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AdoptAPitbull
    • View Profile
    • Irish Geisha's Blog
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2004, 12:46:24 AM »
I went undergrad to a top ranked school and I found it opened a lot of doors for me... but more important, lukcy for me, it was a place that fit my personality and life style very well ...

For grad school I went on pure convenience -- not wanting to rack up too much debt and having to be a "commuter".

Now if I choose between Loyola (#65?) and Pepperdine (#99) ... well, I had a good gut feeling about Pepperdine when I visited there ... I loved the location (obviously) and there were some other intangible factors that drew me to it.  Meanwhile, I didn't visit Loyola (I don't know why ... but it just didn't happen) and I just haven't felt the click...

So my choice is --- third tier where I feel like I can actually have a shot at being in the top of my class and getting some scholarship $$ or a second tier that I don't feel all that excited about ... but is a second tier?

What do you guys think?
"I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself." - Michel Eyquem

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2004, 03:11:29 AM »
I went undergrad to a top ranked school and I found it opened a lot of doors for me... but more important, lukcy for me, it was a place that fit my personality and life style very well ...

For grad school I went on pure convenience -- not wanting to rack up too much debt and having to be a "commuter".

Now if I choose between Loyola (#65?) and Pepperdine (#99) ... well, I had a good gut feeling about Pepperdine when I visited there ... I loved the location (obviously) and there were some other intangible factors that drew me to it.  Meanwhile, I didn't visit Loyola (I don't know why ... but it just didn't happen) and I just haven't felt the click...

So my choice is --- third tier where I feel like I can actually have a shot at being in the top of my class and getting some scholarship $$ or a second tier that I don't feel all that excited about ... but is a second tier?

What do you guys think?

Did you get $$ from Pepperdine?  If not, I would choose Loyola.  They jumped up on the rankings, and are looked very favorably upon in LA.  If you really felt a connection with Pepperdine, then go there.  But I would at least visit Loyola.  I guess it depends on what you want to do.  If you want to work for a mid to large firm, your best bet is Loyola.  Good Luck my dear!!
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

thechoson

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2004, 04:12:31 AM »

What do you guys think?

USD. Come to USD.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2004, 11:22:27 AM »
as a total favor, can someone who has the book tell me what the top 5 business schools are in order?  i would be most appreciative!

1.harvard
2.stanford
3.penn [wharton]
4.MIT [sloan]
5.northwestern[kellog]

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/mba/brief/mbarank_brief.php

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2004, 11:16:05 AM »
i hated having to search for this thread