Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2005 USNWR Law School Rankings  (Read 13254 times)

siyang

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2005 USNWR Law School Rankings
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 05:17:43 PM »
I JUST PICKED UP THE MAGAZINE.  THE RANKINGS ARE REAL.

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 05:48:07 PM »
Can you please provide the Tier 3 & T4 Schools, in order of Tier?   Pleaaaase???? Ty

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 05:55:19 PM »
I JUST PICKED UP THE MAGAZINE.  THE RANKINGS ARE REAL.

do you by any chance have a scanner? :)

(and could possibly scan them for us? =P)

PhoenixPSU

• Sr. Citizen
  • Villanova Law, Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 06:26:04 PM »
Just a question, and I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest here.  In the grand scheme of life, how much do the rankings really matter?  Aside from the nationals, which all compete with each other, aren't schools really only concerned with where they rank relative to other schools in their immediate area.  For example, would Brooklyn Law School really care that U of Arizona is ranked ahead of them?  Probably not.  They're probably only concerned with their relation to Fordham, Cardozo, St. John's, NYLS, etc.  Otherwise, it seems like the rankings only serve to allow law students and schools to get into pissing contests about whose school is better.

hollywoodude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 06:31:32 PM »
Good for Pepperdine!!
Photo finish to the top 100!!

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 06:37:22 PM »
It all depends on the school.  I'm sure Boalt is quite upset to be out of the top 10.  I'm sure their new dean will work his butt off to make sure Boalt gets back into the top 10 next year.  In fact, the new dean has commented that he wants to ensure that Boalt gets into the top 5 (hopefully by the time I graduate!)   I'm also sure that a lot of Boalt's alumni (and future students like myself) are shocked that the school would allow their rankings to get that low.  I know they are just rankings, and the factors used to rank schools should always be seen as suspect, however, everyone still look at rankings. 

Just a question, and I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest here.  In the grand scheme of life, how much do the rankings really matter?  Aside from the nationals, which all compete with each other, aren't schools really only concerned with where they rank relative to other schools in their immediate area.  For example, would Brooklyn Law School really care that U of Arizona is ranked ahead of them?  Probably not.  They're probably only concerned with their relation to Fordham, Cardozo, St. John's, NYLS, etc.  Otherwise, it seems like the rankings only serve to allow law students and schools to get into pissing contests about whose school is better.
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

scolomon

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 06:57:14 PM »
Go Hofstra. An 11 school jump at least.

siyang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 07:01:11 PM »
hey, the rankings for the third and fourth tier are listed alphabetically... and thus, really are not rankings.  all the information is still there, but the explanation that "law schools within each of these tears should be considered broadly similar in quality and therefore are listed alphabetically."

i do not have a scanner, but i will see if i can use my friend's camera later to take a picture and uplooad it somehow.

however, i stress that the rankings in the first post of this thread are correct.

youngchi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 07:09:04 PM »
can someone hook me up with uiuc's lsat and gpa 25-75? thanks

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 07:13:50 PM »
So - does it matter what a school is ranked when you start or when you finish?  If I go to a school that is ranked 75 when I start, but they get up to 50 by the time I graduate (lets say they spent billions of dollars to get new buildings, profs, etc) does it matter that for one/two years I was getting a 75 rank education level or do employers only care that when I graduated it was #50?