Law School Discussion

How many LOR's is everyone getting?

A226

• View Profile
How many LOR's is everyone getting?
« on: October 24, 2004, 01:32:34 PM »
I'm going to go with 2 as of now. Do I really need a 3rd? 2 seems sufficient.

AaronJ

Re: How many LOR's is everyone getting?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 02:02:57 PM »
Two here.  Should be fine.  Most schools do not want more then that although I think there may be a few exceptions.

The advantage of having more is that, with the new LOR system, you can pick and choose which ones go where.

jennynam

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 06:50:31 PM »
I think two is enough, unless you have a third rec that would really say something different than the two you have now. Also, I've heard law schools are much more concerned with your undergrad academic recs than anything else, but I'm not sure on the validity of this. I only have two from two undergrad profs.

rogue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 07:15:34 PM »
I've come across several schools that say they require 3.

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 08:40:16 PM »
I'm getting 4.

Three from profs, one from the office manager at Senator McCain's office. The latter is only for use at NYU, which takes four. I figure if a school requires 2 but will take 3, sending 2 gives the message, "I can only find two people to say good things about me.". Further, the "Top Law Schools" book mentioned that most applicants to Stanford send in 3 letters, and I don't want to fall behind. I even convinced my three primary writers to use Stanford's form and Columbia's form....

I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I figured I should have four on file.

UPDATE: And through dumb luck, I have two of the prof letters on file, so I won't miss any deadlines.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 05:43:43 PM »
I have been in graduate school for about 4 years now and I am currently in the process of finishing my PhD and applying to law school.  (nothing like writing a thesis and applying to law school at the same time to drive someone over the edge)  ;D

I have 3 LOR's (one from my major professor, one from a thesis committee member, and one from my department chair -  I taught some classes for the last two professors (senior-level biochem) and was TA for both, as well).

Do you guys think I should get LOR from someone from my undergrad institution?  I have a great professor with whom I still keep in close contact.  He wrote my LOR for grad school and would do a great job, too.

Would my three original choices be the best or should I ask my old prof?

AKKK  ???

rogue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 05:50:42 PM »
I think it'd definately be good to get a LOR from your undergrad professor especially if you still have a good relationship with him. Just cuz you'd have a letter from a different school, different source, different situation. You'd be evaluated in a different area. And if it was positive too it'd show you've succeeded at every level.

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 06:07:59 PM »
Thanks for your input!  :)

superiorlobe

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 06:12:37 PM »
I figure if a school requires 2 but will take 3, sending 2 gives the message, "I can only find two people to say good things about me.". 

I've wondered about this.  Seems like if they only require two they shouldn't hold it against you if you only submit two.  But then I keep seeing things your way...

ScurvyWench

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 10:08:04 PM »
Your law school application is based on your undergraduate work and therefore you should have at least one LOR from an undergrad prof/dean.IMO

I have been in graduate school for about 4 years now and I am currently in the process of finishing my PhD and applying to law school.  (nothing like writing a thesis and applying to law school at the same time to drive someone over the edge)  ;D

I have 3 LOR's (one from my major professor, one from a thesis committee member, and one from my department chair -  I taught some classes for the last two professors (senior-level biochem) and was TA for both, as well).

Do you guys think I should get LOR from someone from my undergrad institution?  I have a great professor with whom I still keep in close contact.  He wrote my LOR for grad school and would do a great job, too.

Would my three original choices be the best or should I ask my old prof?

AKKK  ???