Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Latin Honors vs. Class Standing vs GPA  (Read 2068 times)

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Latin Honors vs. Class Standing vs GPA
« on: March 31, 2004, 01:41:45 AM »
Here's a question for all you folks:

Considering (or perhaps not considering) how every school has different grading systems and different cut-offs for cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude, what do you think would be the more important/impressive on a law resume?  Having the latin honors?  Being top X%?  Having a high GPA?  What would be the least valuable?  Some schools only give the cum laude distinction for the top 15% of the class, while others have a top 40% cut-off mark.  As a hypo, would being top 20% be more important than being cum laude?

My guess is that GPA is the most worthless of the 3 (obviously), but I'm not sure about the other two.  Any thoughts, anyone?

xrayspec

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Latin Honors vs. Class Standing vs GPA
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 01:52:56 AM »
Who can say what will be 'impressive' to the person reading the resume.

Numerically, class ranking is the most useful distinction.

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
Re: Latin Honors vs. Class Standing vs GPA
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 02:47:21 AM »
I would say class rankings. But, as you know, most law schools don't reveal the rankings before graduation, so law firms look for your gpa when recruiting. I think they know what GPA is a good one in each law school they recruit from. After all, the gpa is directly related to the rankings. Of course, they don't compare the GPA of a Harvard student with the GPA of a student from another lest prestigious school. Just try to do your best at whatever school you end up with, but always try to go to the best law school you can. After you are in, start worrying about such things.

Visit http://2lawschool.blog-city.com