Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: high GPA, bombed lsat  (Read 12406 times)

ellsnyu

• View Profile
high GPA, bombed lsat
« on: October 24, 2004, 01:36:36 PM »
Hi everyone, I just saw this website and found it to be very helpful. I am a student at NYU and I have a pretty good GPA (3.65), and unfortunately, i did very poorly on the LSAT. On the practice tests, i was scoring in the 160's and i did worse on the actual LSAT than i ever did on any practice test. I got a 152. I am very depressed bacause I was aiming at getting into either fordham or cardozo. Is there still any chance at me getting in? I am planning on taking the December one and I know I will score in the 160's on that one. What should I do. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

AaronJ

Re: high GPA, bombed lsat
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 02:29:05 PM »
Just write an addendum explaining why this past test was an anomoly.  And before you retake you need to be certain that you will not repeat that score within any close margin. 

ellsnyu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 02:37:47 PM »
i just read somewhere that fordham only takes the higher score if you score 10+ points higher on the second one. is that true?
thanks for the advice.

AaronJ

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 02:40:47 PM »
I have no idea if that is true or not true.  But you can bet that a 10 point increase will be noticed and taken into account everywhere.  That is substantial, especially in the span of two months and it would make the case pretty solid that your other score was a fluke.

ellsnyu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 03:17:59 PM »
thank you very much for your input
i really appreciate it

nlyang

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • my lsn data
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 03:33:03 PM »
according to http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/multiple_lsat.php fordham does take the higher score if it's 10+ greater.

not really sure how about the source though.

Winnie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 07:05:16 PM »
ellsnyu:

I am in the same boat as you.  I have a good UGPA (3.99) and a horrible LSAT score (152).  I plan on taking it again in December more to prove to MYSELF that it was an anomaly.  Your high GPA/low LSAT just goes to show that a standardized test is not an accurate indicator of how well a student will do in an academic setting.  Determination, commmitment, and drive are everything!

qwertyytrewq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 11:41:21 AM »
i just graduated from nyu...what did you major in?  i was econ.

and also are you applying for fall 2005?

LimitsOnLimits

• Meow to you
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 01:44:52 PM »
I would definitely retake the exam.  All hope is not lost.  I am in the same situation and I'm hoping to score at least 10-15 points higher.  I do not handle standardize exams well, but I worked hard in school.  It just goes to show that these exams do not always predict how good or bad a student will do in school. Someone may be a hard worker and may happen to have a bad test day.  Im sure there are people who scored a 1300 or higher on their SATs and did bad all throughout college. 

shiveringjenny

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 12:37:48 AM »
lolz.
i made a 1500+ and am only scraping by with a 3.2.