Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice -- High GPA/ Low LSAT  (Read 2634 times)

lucy337

• View Profile
Advice -- High GPA/ Low LSAT
« on: October 23, 2004, 08:44:44 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has a similar situation or could offer some advice...

I, too, was disappointed with my LSAT score (150) as I had studied months in advance and taken a course through Testmasters. I knew I didn't do great, but didn't expect this score. I had a 3.97 in undergrad (English) and a 4.0 in grad school (Art History). I'm currently a university professor and I'm also URM. I would like to go to SMU (and had wanted to go to UT, but don't think that's really possible now), but don't know how much this score will hurt me. Should I retake the test? Does anyone else have this situation? Thanks for any advice

Winnie

• View Profile
Re: Advice -- High GPA/ Low LSAT
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 07:09:18 PM »
You are not alone.  I am in the same boat: 3.99 UGPA and 152 LSAT.  I am taking the test again in December, more to prove to myself that it was not an anomaly.  Your credentials sound impressive to me.  You should apply to UT anyway and see what they come back with.  I've knocked a couple of school off my list, but I am still applying to UGA, which was my first choice. Never know until you try...

scc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 07:22:09 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has a similar situation or could offer some advice...

I, too, was disappointed with my LSAT score (150) as I had studied months in advance and taken a course through Testmasters. I knew I didn't do great, but didn't expect this score. I had a 3.97 in undergrad (English) and a 4.0 in grad school (Art History). I'm currently a university professor and I'm also URM. I would like to go to SMU (and had wanted to go to UT, but don't think that's really possible now), but don't know how much this score will hurt me. Should I retake the test? Does anyone else have this situation? Thanks for any advice

Since you're a URM and you have a really unique background, I think that UT would not be an impossible reach.  You should only retake the test if you think you can get at least 8 point higher.  If you've been averaging 160, then I'd say retake.

lucy337

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 08:20:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I think I might go ahead and apply to UT, just to see. I'm working as an adjunct professor for The University of Texas at Arlington next semester, which might help a little. Still unsure about retesting because I know it is possible for me to get in the 160's, standardized tests always seem to get the better of me. Good luck to all.

eeniemeeniemineymoe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 10:30:41 PM »
I'd say re-take it.  You have too much going for you to let a low score keep you out of UT.  if you bump it up to a 160, you have a pretty good shot.

Going from mush to meringue...

lexylitstinks

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 05:34:56 PM »
KEEP retaking it over and over and over until you get a 170+!!!!!!!11