Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I don't know what to think  (Read 1438 times)

mira_j

• View Profile
I don't know what to think
« on: March 30, 2004, 07:01:00 PM »
Hi,
I applied to 5 schools mid-January, I went complete at the beginning of February, and so far I have received one rejection letter. I am not even in the 25th percentile of 3 of these schools. Do you think that I might get some good news? I thought that they would reject me right away, but they did not. My numbers are 3.75/143 (horrible), and the schools that I applied to are: USF, USD, Boalt Hall, Thomas Jefferson, and California Western (the rejection).

I applied to T1/T2 schools as a joke, but now I really start to think that maybe they are thinking about me! ??? :) ???

Mira

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
Re: I don't know what to think
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 07:09:31 PM »
With your numbers, I don't see how you can get into any of those schools.  A 143 is a miserable LSAT.  That is killing you.  You need to retake it.  If Cal Western rejected you, then Thomas Jefferson is your only shot. 

Your only shot at law school with a 143 LSAT is if you are a black asian woman double amputee who survived cancer and a major organ transplant.

Keep us all posted...

Retake the LSAT and apply next year.  You can bring that score up for sure.

jgomez

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 09:07:50 AM »
i agree with spreakerdave, that your LSAT is killing you.  I think if you can pull it up to 150, you will have a decent chance at some 4th tier schools.

Nevertheless, it's like the lotto, your chances are slim, but you would not even have a chance if you never played.  So hang in there.

Here's my suggestion. I plan on taking the June test and if for some reason i'm still in the running then (because of waitlist or something like that), i'll send in scores and hope for the best.

good luck and keep your head up. 

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 09:31:40 AM »
Mira- you have a great GPA - i wish I had it. Wait a year, maybe enroll in a LSAT class, and apply again in the fall. With such a strong GPA you should aim for in the 160s and get into a really great school.

As for th wait a lot schools are just really slow in sending out their letters - most people are still waiting.

Not Given

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 10:48:45 AM »
Mira
I noticed that someone said that your only shot at law school with a 143 would be if you are a black asian amputee.......

Don't get discouraged. You CAN get into law school with a 143. No it will not be a Tier 1 one or Tier 2, but you can certainly get into a Tier 4 with that LSAT especially if you have WE and good LOR's.

karenw911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 03:27:57 PM »

You CAN get into law school with a 143. No it will not be a Tier 1 one or Tier 2, but you can certainly get into a Tier 4 with that LSAT especially if you have WE and good LOR's.

But to be fair, and honest, I don't think even many tier 4's are going to take a 143.  There are way too many applicants this year and even the tier 4's can stand to be choosy.

Something else you need to think about....your GPA is very high.  What undergad did you go to? I'm afraid adcomms are going to look at your numbers and think you went to a pud school in perhaps a less than challenging program. 

Karen W.

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 03:36:30 PM »
Hi,
I applied to 5 schools mid-January, I went complete at the beginning of February, and so far I have received one rejection letter. I am not even in the 25th percentile of 3 of these schools. Do you think that I might get some good news? I thought that they would reject me right away, but they did not. My numbers are 3.75/143 (horrible), and the schools that I applied to are: USF, USD, Boalt Hall, Thomas Jefferson, and California Western (the rejection).

I applied to T1/T2 schools as a joke, but now I really start to think that maybe they are thinking about me! ??? :) ???

Mira

Mira, I am afraid you'd be an auto reject at Boalt, USF, USD.  The only school that might still be considering you is Thomas Jefferson.  Your GPA is awesome, you should definitely look into taking the LSAT again.

mira_j

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 06:44:59 PM »
Hi guys,
Thanks for your support. My B.A. is in Business Administration, Management concentration, from California State University San Bernardino.
Yeah, I agree that I should take the LSAT again. I know that it will sound like an excuse, but when I took the LSAT in December, I could not concentrate on it too much, because I was taking 5 classes and I had finals. Well, I got 4.0 and 143  :'( :). I really want to finish my B.A. fast, and I don't even know exactly why( I am 24 and I feel like my clock is ticking  :D :D :D). After transfering from junior college, I will be done with the rest in 1 year. Last quatter I took 5 classes again, now I am taking 6. But I thought-well, if I am getting all As, why not? Anyways, I will take the LSAT again in October (on my birthday hehehhe) and I will try to get in a law school with money. I am Eastern-European, woman, English is my second language,I came to America 4 years ago as an international student,I learned 6 languages in my home country, so I think I will have a better chance with a better LSAT.

Dum spiro spero

Mira