Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I the only one who can't wait for the fall term?  (Read 4675 times)

jgruber

Am I the only one who can't wait for the fall term?
« on: March 30, 2004, 05:52:58 PM »
I've been accepted to the only school I applied to and am rather excited about starting law school.

Not meaning to gloat, but geez, I can't wait for the fall.    :)

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Am I the only one who can't wait for the fall term?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 05:54:47 PM »
I have never heard of Nashville School of Law...And I recall reviewing many books on law schools...
Is it attached to a larger university, by some other name?  Sorry for my ignorance...

Nicky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 05:58:19 PM »
Im stoked too.   ;D
Congrats on getting into the only school you applied to, saved bunch on app money huh? I havent heard from all schools yet---spent too much app money-- but stoked nevertheless about moving onto law school, only getting nervous about the fat debt burden waiting me at the other end.  Its well worth the risk though--I think.

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 05:59:25 PM »
Not surprising that you did not hear of it.   :)

NSL is a non-ABA night school, started in 1911 by three Vanderbilt law grads.  It was originally called the YMCA Night Law School and was part of trend of night schools established in YMCAs across the country.  There is a nice article about YMCA night schools on www.lawschoolafterdark.com.

It is the only non-ABA law school in Tennessee and its graduates are approved to sit for the bar exam.

I have never heard of Nashville School of Law...And I recall reviewing many books on law schools...
Is it attached to a larger university, by some other name?  Sorry for my ignorance...

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 06:02:08 PM »
My school is cheap by comparison.  3900.00 per year.

It's a night school and non-ABA, but it's within commuting distance and it will teach me what I need to practice law. 
I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about law and law school.  I just started reading Planet Law School II yesterday.  Interesting so far.

Stoked, stoked, stoked.  It's getting hard to concentrate on my job anymore, but I better find a way since I will need it until after I get out of law school.   :'(

Im stoked too.   ;D
Congrats on getting into the only school you applied to, saved bunch on app money huh? I havent heard from all schools yet---spent too much app money-- but stoked nevertheless about moving onto law school, only getting nervous about the fat debt burden waiting me at the other end.  Its well worth the risk though--I think.

andywp8

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 06:07:15 PM »
 I too am excited about starting next fall, but I still want to enjoy my summer, i dont want it to rush past.

I have finished reading law school confidential, and planet law school II, and last week I rented the paperchase.

jgruber what do you think of PLSII so far??
 the author, atticus, is extremely anti-professor.

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 06:08:20 PM »
Well, I assume if you earn your JD from a non-ABA accredited school, you can still practie in the state, assuming some other state-recognized accrediting board has approved this school...
BUT, what if you wanted to move to Florida, Georgia, etc., wouldn't it be a better decision to choose a school that has ABA-accreditation (even going into substantial debt), and therefore you will be able to practice in states besides Tennessee? 
Unless, Nashille School of Law is to become accredited in the next few years...
With that said, however, I understand everyone has individual circumstances that influence, even dictate, their decisions...

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 06:24:16 PM »
If I want  to practice in another state my options are limited.  Some will let me sit for their bar.

But I'll be 53 when I graduate, so mobility is not the first priority, especially since my son and his kids will probably be in Tennessee for, for, forever.

Well, I assume if you earn your JD from a non-ABA accredited school, you can still practie in the state, assuming some other state-recognized accrediting board has approved this school...
BUT, what if you wanted to move to Florida, Georgia, etc., wouldn't it be a better decision to choose a school that has ABA-accreditation (even going into substantial debt), and therefore you will be able to practice in states besides Tennessee? 
Unless, Nashille School of Law is to become accredited in the next few years...
With that said, however, I understand everyone has individual circumstances that influence, even dictate, their decisions...

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 06:35:03 PM »
Ture, true...I've read many of your posts, and I assumed you were in your early to mid-twenties...
Speaks again to my comment on individual circumstances! :)

Good luck with the endeavor!

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 11:09:59 PM »
No way, I am crispy between full time work and full time school.  I want my summer to last as long as possible.,