Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I the only one who can't wait for the fall term?  (Read 4744 times)

jgruber

Re: Am I the only one who can't wait for the fall term?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 04:37:49 PM »
Me?  I'll start at Nashville School of Law in August.

lovin1L, can i ask where you go to school at? thanks! :)

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2004, 01:57:23 PM »
While I am really excited to be starting this August, I am also really nervous about it.  Getting back into the studying mode is going to be challenging and not working is going to be really strange.  Anyone else getting the "I can't believe I got in, now what am I going to do?" feeling?  When I applied, I thought it was an extreme long-shot (in fact I was really waiting for the rejection letters to frame them on the wall :-) and now it is like, I didn't expect to be accepted!!!

The idea of going down to a top-Raman diet, wondering how on earth I am going to study for all of my classes, when am I going to have time to do the little things - i.e. shower - is what I am wondering.  I am really excited but for every bit of exitement there is an equal part of anxiety!  I hope I am not the only one???

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2004, 05:42:44 PM »
Hey schoomp,

Don't worry, you're not the only one. :)  My anxiety level is ramping up and I think only when I get there will I be able to settle my fears.  I think everything will be dandy once you arrive at your school and find some cool people to study and bond with. :)  Best of luck!

While I am really excited to be starting this August, I am also really nervous about it.  Getting back into the studying mode is going to be challenging and not working is going to be really strange.  Anyone else getting the "I can't believe I got in, now what am I going to do?" feeling?  When I applied, I thought it was an extreme long-shot (in fact I was really waiting for the rejection letters to frame them on the wall :-) and now it is like, I didn't expect to be accepted!!!

The idea of going down to a top-Raman diet, wondering how on earth I am going to study for all of my classes, when am I going to have time to do the little things - i.e. shower - is what I am wondering.  I am really excited but for every bit of exitement there is an equal part of anxiety!  I hope I am not the only one???

jgruber

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2004, 03:32:58 PM »
Study?  You mean I'll have to study?

Don't ask me how, but I've gotten this far without really having to study.  I would just read the required text, glance at any notes and take the tests.

I can see from what I've read about law school that I will really have to work at this.   :'(

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2004, 03:54:52 PM »
You mean study for undergrad not law school right?  If so, I know the feeling.  I didn't study through high school, college or graduate school.  For that matter, I barely studied for the lsat.  Now I am going to have to learn how to do it in a hurry I am afraid!  ;)

jgruber

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2004, 11:23:54 AM »
Yep, that's what I mean.  I guess it's time to stop coasting.  You think it's too late at 49 years old?

You mean study for undergrad not law school right?  If so, I know the feeling.  I didn't study through high school, college or graduate school.  For that matter, I barely studied for the lsat.  Now I am going to have to learn how to do it in a hurry I am afraid!  ;)

jgruber

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2004, 01:08:57 PM »
I started reading

The Process to Law School Success
1999 Professor Rogelio Lasso
Washburn University School of Law
http://classes.washburnlaw.edu/lass/coursemat/2001fall/LawSchlScss.'01.htm

and was struck by this paragraph in light of the last few items in this discussion.

The key to success in law school is remarkably similar to the key to success in practice. In practice I learned that the most successful lawyers were those who were prepared rather than those with brilliant minds. There is no short cut to success in law school or in the practice of law. That is the problem. Every year meet students who took short cuts as undergraduates but nevertheless received good grades. They arrive in law school believing they can replicate that approach. They tell me they did very well despite waiting to prepare for exams until literally hours prior to the test. I advise them early in the semester they cannot use short cuts in law school and every year some choose to ignore me. Unfortunately, they don't find out they were wrong until they receive their first semester grades. Amazingly, some blame me for their poor performance. I have no sympathy for them because if they approach practicing law with the same arrogance, it will be their clients who suffer.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2004, 01:49:24 PM »
Darn, guess that means I will actually have to read the homework now!!

P.S. - 49 isn't too old to go back to school.  At this rate, I'll probably be bored with law and looking for a career change then and need to find something else to do myself :)

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2004, 11:13:39 PM »
After visiting NYU, I'm super excited about the fall.  I know it'll be a lot of work, but it's work I'm interested in, and more than anything, I'm excited about being around so many bright people.  Congrats to everyone who's going onto 1L in the fall (this has been a ROUGH year) and good luck to you all.

With the briefing issue, how long do you make each of your briefs?  As an undergrad, I took a legal research/writing course, where we were taught the classic brief, and each one took up about 2 typed single spaced pages.  If you're doing a brief like that for every case, then I'm guessing that you devote a lot of time to briefing. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2004, 12:27:29 AM »
I wanted to echo the sentiments of several other folks out there...I am super excited but law school seems to be growing into mammoth proportions in my brain.  I want to be as ready as I possibly can be without going overboard.  Does anyone have any thoughts on some of the formal prep classes out there?  Are they just trying to take another grand for the poor anxienty-ridden, soon-to-be One L's?
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!