Law School Discussion

Northeastern, Lewis & Clark, Temple, Chicago-Kent, Case Western???

liberty shark

• awesome.
    • View Profile
    • Email
anybody know anything about Northeastern, Lewis & Clark, Temple, Chicago-Kent, or Case Western?  oh, and i've checked the grids for American U, but would anyone happen to have any insights regarding my odds of getting into American U?

my numbers aren't too strong, but the rest of my app is solid in terms of LORs, resume, and my PS.

scc

• View Profile
Re: Northeastern, Lewis & Clark, Temple, Chicago-Kent, Case Western???
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 01:43:33 PM »
I know one or two people who go to Kent, and I think they like it.  They place decently well in Chicago given the competition.  It's not in the nicest neighborhood, but Chicago is an awesome city, in my biased opinion.

Northeastern is supposed to be very competitive in Boston against BU and BC especially because of their externship (I'm not sure if that's what it's actually called) program.  And they work hard to recruit and small to mid-sized firms, so their career services are really great.

Sorry I don't know about the other schools!

vmersich

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 03:17:18 PM »
If I weren't really confident that I will get into a significantly higher ranked school, I would love to go to L&C.  Portland is a great city, and the school is well-known/respected there. 

ChiKent, from what I here, has difficulty competing with the other Chi schools, but does well nonetheless.  CaseWestern is an underrated school in a pretty decent area of Cleveland.  The facilities there are really cool.

Temple is great if you want to work in Philly, but a nightmarish place to study if you don't.

Draino can fill you in on all the details about NE.

Lulu

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 03:21:07 PM »
I know someone who went to Case Western with fairly weak numbers, and then transferred to NYU after doing fairly well there. Don't know specific details of her stats- but it seems like it would be a good school, because she said it was pretty easy to transfer up.

vmersich

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 03:30:11 PM »
I know someone who went to Case Western with fairly weak numbers, and then transferred to NYU after doing fairly well there. Don't know specific details of her stats- but it seems like it would be a good school, because she said it was pretty easy to transfer up.

This is helpful, but most people will caution applicants about attending a school with the goal of transferring already in mind.  My rule of thumb: only do this if you know you would be happy to stay there, should the transfer not work out.

liberty shark

• awesome.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 05:38:47 PM »
muerte, how's temple a lousy place to study?  i dont really know much about philly or temple itself, just that it's within my range.

TIA

Rowgirl

• 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 06:29:40 PM »
Temple isn't in a great area (thats probably an understatement).  Philly is great though, I go to school here, I'm not planning on staying here, and I'm having a really great time.  Plus, from what I hear, temple has a pretty good reputation in the northeast (but then again, so do a ton of other schools).  Temple is definatly #2 in Philly behind Penn, and most of them leave Philly anyway.  Northeastern is my top choice, so let me know any specific questions you have.  Their co-op program is amazing and really well-respected in Boston. 

mchek

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 06:33:45 PM »
Hi. I was in Philly earlier this week, and I visited Temple. It is definately not in the nicest part of town, however, the law building is pretty nice and the students I spoke to seemed to really like it there.

liberty shark

• awesome.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 10:20:12 AM »
bump.  8)

LRT

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 10:48:41 AM »
Does Northeastern have law journals? I tried looking on their website but couldn't find any info.