Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Some objective data, courtesy of Eugene Volokh  (Read 1519 times)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Some objective data, courtesy of Eugene Volokh
« on: October 23, 2004, 02:11:52 AM »
I found this, and think it's extremely helpful for minority students:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2004_08_07.shtml

I do have data for two other top 10 law schools, Boalt and Michigan, from the mid-1990s (there is no reason to believe the data has changed much since then).

1996 was the last class at Boalt Law School before Prop. 209 affected admissions. The entering students's stats were as follows (source: American Lawyer, November 1997):

LSAT(%ile) GPA
Nonminorities 168 (96.9) 3.72
Asian 166 (95.0) 3.71
Hispanic 159 (80.5) 3.50
Black 155 (67.0) 3.54

Similarly, we learn from the district court opinion in Grutter v. Bollinger that in 1995, another top ten state law school, the University of Michigan, had the following statistics: white students had a median LSAT score of 167 and a median GPA of 3.59, while the corresponding figures were 155 and 3.18 for African American students, and 159 and 3.35 for Mexican American students.

I think the consistency of the two data points is striking too.

For African Americans:
12-13 LSAT boost
.2-.4 GPA boost

For Mexicans:
8 LSAT points
.23 GPA boost.

The data is a bit old, but as Volokh notes, there's no reason to expect it to have changed.

Use it as you will.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Some objective data, courtesy of Eugene Volokh
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 03:29:10 PM »
very interesting
Get Right, or get Left!!!!

Spallenzani

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud to be a moran
    • View Profile
    • Catallarchy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 10:59:21 PM »
Small nit: The author of that post is David Bernstein, not Eugene Volokh. And in some cases, as in the recent University of Michigan AA lawsuits, the GPA boost for African Americans is a full grade point or more, holding LSAT scores constant.

DOWNY

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 07:04:46 AM »

For African Americans:
12-13 LSAT boost
.2-.4 GPA boost

So hypothetically one could score a 193 on the LSAT? That's good, because otherwise admissions would be unfair to minorities. So I could get 10 more questions correct on the LSAT, AND perform better in undergrad, yet STILL be evaluated less favorably than someone else? That is a great idea, and will surely create a "level playing field." Provided that we interpret "level" to mean "slanted, biased and a disgrace to academic standards."

Go ahead and f-ing flame me. If that statistic is correct it is f-ing bull and I will stand by my convictions.

HTFH
DOWNY

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 03:18:08 PM »
I agree. I think this crutch is going to hurt minorities more than help them. I agree there should be an increase but if that is the case, then it is insanely too much.
You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23