Law School Discussion

Anyone bomb this thing?

Anyone bomb this thing?
« on: October 22, 2004, 09:27:57 PM »
My friend (who might be reading this -- hope you're OK, Frank) got a score 3 points below his TM diagnostic, 10 points below what he was practicing at the week before the test, and a full 14 points below his target. Ouch. He was well prepared too, just a major case of nerves.

Did anyone underperform worse than this? Let's hear about it.

Re: Anyone bomb this thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 09:37:42 PM »
umm yeah tell your friend not to feel bad.....i was scoring in the 160's on prac.tests then got a f-ing 137 on my diagnostic!!!!!!!! I am such an idiot! I dont know what happened....looks like cooley for me...and *&^% who knows if they will even take me!  :-[

Well, the good things is, if you're going to @#!* up, it's best to *really* @#!* up. If you score 10 points higher your second go-round, most schools will just take the higher score and not average the two.

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 09:39:29 PM »
no kidding? i hope that's the case.........i am going to study a lot more here....maybe i should postpone till feb? or will that hurt my chances of getting in?

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 09:46:02 PM »
no kidding? i hope that's the case.........i am going to study a lot more here....maybe i should postpone till feb? or will that hurt my chances of getting in?

I always heard December was the last date you could take it and still get your apps in, and even that was cutting it close. I could be wrong though. If you were in the 160's on your practice tests and got a 137 in the real thing, a lot of it was probably due to nerves. You might be able to take it in December and do a lot better just because you've been through it once already.

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 10:00:05 PM »
yikes....now i'm afraid......

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 10:11:00 PM »
Lawstudhopeful,

Just went to a seminar at Wayne State University Law School here in Detroit...while the seminar was school specific, I have to imagine that schools share similar admissions policies...

The assistand Dean of admission said that multiple LSAT scores are averaged, unless the 2nd score is substantially higher...and she defined "higher" as 25 percntiles...not sure what that would be in terms of score numbers...

She also said that, while taking the test in December is pushing it, they still review apps with February LSATs, although most spots are taken up at that time...

Hope this info helps

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 10:14:43 PM »
ok thank you very much.....i might just postpone and take in feb or june and apply next fall

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 10:19:57 PM »
I did. I got 174-177s on practices, but only a 169 on the real thing. That's an unmitigated disaster, with my GPA.

It's not as bad as some other cases posted, but most of my front line schools are most likely off the table, I'm looking at Georgetown, GWU, Duke, or Texas, I think. Those are all fine schools, but I was hoping for something a bit higher in the ranks.

lawstudhopefull

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 10:23:03 PM »
wow, complaining about a 169?!? jesus....must be nice

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 10:28:43 PM »
wow, complaining about a 169?!? jesus....must be nice

Well, I'm sure my personal situation isn't interesting to you, but I want to pracitce Cyberlaw. That's a new field, so there are only a few schools I can go to and study what I want to study... most prominently Stanford and Berkeley. Since they care more about GPA than LSAT, only a really strong LSAT will help me there..... so.... I kind of tested myself out of my career.

However, you can break into cyberlaw with an emphasis in intellectual property and/or constitutional law. It's just going to be a bit bumpier than I thought.

And I'm sorry; I didn't mean to trivialize your much bigger problems. Good luck.