Law School Discussion

Studying for the Oct LSAT now, too early?

TNPIG

Studying for the Oct LSAT now, too early?
« on: March 30, 2004, 01:44:57 PM »
I'm in NY and unfortunately all of the test centers for the June test are full. Do you think its a little premature to be studying now?

I'm excited about the test and want to do really well so i want to start doing some hard core studying, but i dont want to run out of resources.

any ideas, thoughts, advice?

Re: Studying for the Oct LSAT now, too early?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 02:13:45 PM »
Take a practice LSAT. If you are sub-140, start studying now. If you are over 150, wait a month or longer. If you are in between, go with how you feel!

6 months is a long time to study this stuff. I've given myself 4 and I can see it's going to be a grind toward the end.

Victor

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 03:54:41 PM »
I'm in NY and unfortunately all of the test centers for the June test are full. Do you think its a little premature to be studying now?

I'm excited about the test and want to do really well so i want to start doing some hard core studying, but i dont want to run out of resources.

any ideas, thoughts, advice?

I think its too early to do a prep course but its definately not too early to study by yourself.

What part of NY are you in? and which prep course do you plan on using?

TNPIG

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 04:45:02 PM »

I think its too early to do a prep course but its definately not too early to study by yourself.

victor, thanks for your reply. i'm in NYC, and i know i have access to all the prep courses so thats made it harder to decide which one i want to do. i've been looking at testmasters and kaplan. any suggestions?

Victor

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »

victor, thanks for your reply. i'm in NYC, and i know i have access to all the prep courses so thats made it harder to decide which one i want to do. i've been looking at testmasters and kaplan. any suggestions?

I'm from NYC as well. I wouldnt recommend Kaplan, they seem shady to me. I'm also taking the LSAT in October and Testmasters sounds like the way to go.

TNPIG

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 05:13:26 PM »
i've heard that about kaplan, but i went to one of their law school orientations and definitely learned some things. what have you heard that gave you that opinion?

Victor

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 05:38:12 PM »
i've heard that about kaplan, but i went to one of their law school orientations and definitely learned some things. what have you heard that gave you that opinion?

Word of mouth and their workbooks werent much help in my prepping process. Frankly their methods didnt work for me.

TNPIG

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 07:46:21 AM »

Word of mouth and their workbooks werent much help in my prepping process. Frankly their methods didnt work for me.

OK, thanks Victor. Good luck to you!

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 12:37:17 PM »
I'm going with Kaplan despite everyones maliscious attempts at degrading their methods, I will also be studying on my own starting in June... I will be taking the Jue exam for 2005.

nathanielmark

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »
My sincere option, as someone who took Kaplan several years ago, is that it is a class that could potentially benefit people who start out with mediocre to low LSAT scores.

In my honest opinion, if you can score in the 160s cold, you would be better served with another prep program or home study.