Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I American or Canadian?  (Read 2239 times)

Gildwulf

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Am I American or Canadian?
« on: July 24, 2003, 07:04:56 AM »
Hey all,

I think my last message got erased for some reason...d'ooooh.  I will rehash my two questions briefly:

1)  I am a third year undergrad at McGill University (you guessed it...Polisci) thinking of law schools; particularly, American and Canadian ones.  The catch is that I am a dual (American/Canadian citizen).  My question is thus: should I apply as an international student (Canadian to American schools and vice versa) or as a citizen?  Are my chances increased one way or another??  Please advise, I know of no literature on this.

2)  I am thinking of getting an MA in political science to stand out in an applicant pool if my LSATS are less than the median for the schools I'm applying to (I'm looking at top-twenty schools w/ a GPA in an Honours program of 3.55...).  Basically, I'm going to be one of a million 20-year old douchebags with a political science degree looking to get into law school, and I figure an MA would help me stand out.  My question is: how much of a difference does it make, if any?  I figure since it's something I'm interested in, it's only 1-2 years in Canada (and it's so !@!@$! cheap as a Canadian!!!  Like 5k a year Canadian for an MA!!), should I pick up an MA on my way to law school to get some more work experience as TA and some more writing experience?  Please advise...

Zach in Montreal

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Am I American or Canadian?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 10:32:33 AM »
So sorry about the message being erased.  Apparently the server company had some problems and lost a week's worth of data (ie posts).  This isn't something that usually happens around here, but I appologize for your work being erased.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Am I American or Canadian?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 03:26:10 PM »
Zach get the work experience, but you do not need an MA just to stand out you get an MA becasue you are interesed in the Mastery of that given genre. With 2+ yrs experience over the traditional applicant you will stand a far better chance anyway, especially if your GGPA is not very good.  So I say go after the work experience. Best of luck.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141