Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Defining Military Service (vs. ROTC)  (Read 1300 times)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Defining Military Service (vs. ROTC)
« on: October 22, 2004, 05:04:20 PM »
I was in ROTC for 2.5 years and signed the contract the beginning of Junior year.  I decided the Army wasn't for me anymore and dropped out of my contract and re-paid my ROTC scholarship.  I'm not sure if I need to list this as "military service" because although I was technically enlisted, I was never really full-time active.  What should I say?
Fed gov't atty

Lipper316

Re: Defining Military Service (vs. ROTC)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 05:13:57 PM »
I dont think you need to say anything.

jackalope

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 05:41:45 PM »
If you list that as Military service I will personally kick your as on General Principle.
Although I commend your decision.  That way I don't have to administer corrective training to some feminine hygiene product bag lieutenant.
Or send them back down to Kuwait like I did in Iraq.

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 09:22:39 AM »
Hey!  I am in the Navy Reserves.  You were technically enlisted.  Were you officially discharged?  Also did they slip you into IRR of the Reserves to fulfill your obligation?  I know of a sailor who practically did the same thing as you and found out years later they were still in the Navy.  They were never discharged.  Guess where this person is.  You got it - Iraq.  They were recalled since they were still technically in the Navy.

I know my story is a Navy story; however, military is military at this point.  I would list it as service and explain what happened.  If they ever did a background check of any sort, military will be the first thing on the paper.

Just my opinion. 

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 04:55:24 PM »
I would contact the VA and see what happened.  Did you receive a DD214?  If your SSN is not with the VA, then you may be free and clear.

Good luck and let me know what happens.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 05:07:03 PM »
Still need help!  It's getting down to the wire....

I need to know exactly what constitutes "service".  I think I am Ready Reserve.  I never received discharge or separation papers, so should I assume that I am enlisted inactive reserve?  Even then, I'm not sure if that counts as service.

Any sources that might help me out with this?  I'm reluctant to call any Army division.   Last thing I want is to be pulled for duty when I'm supposed to go to law school.
Fed gov't atty

wrmusgro

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 10:49:56 PM »
Still need help!  It's getting down to the wire....

I need to know exactly what constitutes "service".  I think I am Ready Reserve.  I never received discharge or separation papers, so should I assume that I am enlisted inactive reserve?  Even then, I'm not sure if that counts as service.

Any sources that might help me out with this?  I'm reluctant to call any Army division.   Last thing I want is to be pulled for duty when I'm supposed to go to law school.

ROTC is NOT military service! Don't even try to say you were in the Military. I knew some people who where in JROTC in high school....should they put down they were in the military. ROTC boys are pussies anyway.