Law School Discussion

McGeorge - Deposit due in two days, need info.

Re: McGeorge - Deposit due in two days, need info.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 11:17:51 PM »
BigDaddy:

So you chose McGeorge over Santa Clara? What specifically at Law Day impressed you so much? Have you visited Santa Clara, too?

I live in Florida, and I haven't been able to visit either school. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you experienced that day in terms of students, professors, facilities, atmosphere, etc.

I'm leaning heavily toward McGeorge, and I may make a visit soon, but I'd appreciate any information you can pass along!

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 01:44:23 AM »
habeas_dorkus

I can hopefully share some useful info on Santa Clara. I was accepted to Santa Clara and like BigDaddy I ended up choosing McGeorge. Santa Clara is about a 5 minute walk from my house so I'm very familiar with the school and the Santa Clara/San Jose metro area so I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.  My email is hh1648@aol.com.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 06:23:30 PM »
hello BigDaddy and Martinibar,
I am really interested in what make you guys choose Mcgeorge over Santa Clara U? In my personal experience, the staff in Mcgeorge are really helpful and very nice. But I think SCU does have very good IP program. Any thoughts are appreciated.

thechoson

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 06:25:40 PM »
hello BigDaddy and Martinibar,
I am really interested in what make you guys choose Mcgeorge over Santa Clara U? In my personal experience, the staff in Mcgeorge are really helpful and very nice. But I think SCU does have very good IP program. Any thoughts are appreciated.
I am interested too, because I am pending at SCU and have withdrawn from McGeorge.

BigDaddy

• 3.2 160 McGeorge School of Law, 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 07:05:44 PM »
To all -
   This is my personal experience, so take all this with a grain of salt, as I firmly believe that no deecision is correct for more than that person..That being said....

I went to both schools, and many things at McGeorge caught my attention that were not present at SCU
1) Atmosphere - much more collegial than SCU. SCU seemed like everyone was at each others throats. McG seemed like a very friendly place, somewhere wher I would not mind spending three years of my life. SCU seemed a bit on edge for me.
2) City - I HATE San Jose / Santa Clara. Too many people, too dirty. I like the Sac area, at least the northern suburb where I will live (Roseville), even though McG is in the Ghetto (nice facilities, though)
3) Administration - I was offered a Dean's scholarship at McG, and nothing at SCU. I was also offered good $$ at Denver, so I talked to a person in the admissions office at SCU about trying to get a competitive scholarship. IN ONE EMAIL RESPONSE, he said both that he had taken the subject to the committee, AND that they said no...ALL 20 minutes after our first contact. I don't know if he thinks I'm stupid or what, but that just pissed me off.
I did the same thing talking to Dean Barrett at McGeorge, and he got me 6K more over three years.
4)Ranking Trend (I'm a minor rankings whore) - McG is going up FAST, and I have it from an inside source that they were VERY suprised they didn't get into Tier 2 this year. (If you look at the numbers, I think there were 2-3 schools in T2 that they should have beat.) They are on the rise, with great new faculty and a HELLUVA new dean (ex-CIA and NSA general counsel!!) Look for mid 90's next year.
5) Other factors - My wife rtunities in and daughter have better oppothe Sac area, and I really don't want to send my little one to an inner city school.

Even with all of this in McG's favor, I had a VERY difficult decision. I have a BS and am finishing an MS in microbiology, and am interested in bioteh patent prosecution / litigation. SCU's reputation in patent law ALONE was almost enough to go there over all of the things McG has going for it. I think without the family, I would have attended SCU.

One other thing, and I think that this is VERY personal; McGeorge FELT right. I went to many different schools. Denver had the nicest facilities I have ever seen; Colorado has the rank; SCU has the IP program;McGeorge just was the "right" place for me.

Hope this all helps.

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 09:46:48 PM »
Hi, BigDaddy
Thank you for your info. It is really a hard decision for you to make. Sometimes I think it is even harder to feel right than choose right. Hopefully we can not only feel right, but also choose right.
btw, how much scholarship you got?

thechoson

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 09:53:20 PM »
bravo Bigdaddy!  That must have been a tough decision, but kudos to you.  McGeorge seems to be a class act all around.  I got their Dean's Scholarship, and it was REALLY hard saying no to that one, my hardest withdraw yet. 
Good luck!!!

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 10:45:50 PM »
You covered a lot of the same bases that made me choose McGeorge, BigDaddy but there was something else about SCU that really turned me off.

SCU is in a very good and expensive part of town so the campus can't really expand. An acre of land around the school has a market price of at least 1 to 1.5 million. Since the school is pressed for space they sometimes hold undergraduate classes in Bannan Hall where the law school is. I literally have 20 friends from high school that went to SCU for their undergrad and they've all at one time or another had a class in the law school building.

Its one thing to have undergrads walking around the quad outside, quite another to have them running around making noise during exams, distracting you from your study groups, etc (I've heard first hand accounts of law exams being disrupted by undergrads who didn't realize where they were at). When I asked the staff at SCU about whether or not Bannan Hall was going to become exclusively law school next year I kind of got the run around. Even though the official position is that it will be law school only, I wouldn't really put much faith in that answer.

BigDaddy

• 3.2 160 McGeorge School of Law, 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2004, 08:11:02 AM »
Martinibar -
  I agree wholeheartedly!! When I visited, there were UG's coming into the LS student lounge to buy drinks. The LS students there told them to leave, and the UG's told them to F off!! I would have killed those little sons of .......

Sea - I ended up with 12K a year (damned LSAT)

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2004, 01:26:10 PM »
I agree with you about SCU. I took my LSAT at SCU. It is really noisy outside during the test. To me, the only temptation of SCU is its IP law certificate, which you can get during your JD study.