Law School Discussion

McGeorge - Deposit due in two days, need info.

McGeorge - Deposit due in two days, need info.
« on: March 30, 2004, 10:08:26 AM »
I have applied to several schools, and found myself applying to McGeorge in large part due to the fact that they waived the application fee when submitting an application on-line...

I was accepted to McGeorge, University of the Pacific...
From the literature I have read, I like the program, particularly the variety of courses and areas of specializations.

Ok, my question is this:  The deposit is due April 1, but I am very hesitant to pursue McGeorge any further.  I have not visited the campus, or spoken with anyone about it; my only source of information has been the internet and the view book.  But what I have come across in a few places is that the attrition rate at McGeorge is as high as 26%, or 1 in every 4 students drops out for academic or other reasons during the first year...

Is this true?  Can any one attest to this?  I should be calling McGeorge about this, and may do so later today...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

thechoson

Re: McGeorge - Deposit due in two days, need info.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 10:12:24 AM »
I too was alarmed at the high attrition rate at McGeorge when I was considering it.  (I still am, as a matter of fact)  That high attrition rate seems to be endemic at 3rd and 4th tier schools though.  They do take a high number of students, so that may have something to do with it

SpeakerDave

• 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 11:03:59 AM »
Here is my take on attirtion rate at T3 and T4 schools.  Y

ou will see a high 1st year attrition at the 3rd and 4th tier schools because the first year class is populated with students that can't actually cut it in law school.  This makes sense because the GPA/LSAT stats are lower, so logically it would follow that the quality of student is lower. 

The first year in law school is extremely rigorous anywhere you go to school.  Given that a school admits a greater number of students with comparatively lower GPA and LSAT scores, one would expect a greater number of students that are not able to hack it.  Thus, they fail out. 

As for non-academic attrition...*&^% happens.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 11:45:47 AM »
That is my feeling, but I would feel more comfortable going to a school with a lower attrition rate, even if I don't necessarily fall in the category of "lower quality student" (I don't like that phrase one bit!)...

My stats are: 155 LSAT score, and 3.82 GPA (magna cum laude)...

Still waiting on many schools, though...

Was accepted at a tier two school, Indiana U - Indianapolis...
Would this warrant going half-way across the country just to be in a tier-two?  And isen't the rankings, largely, arbitrary, especially since a commercial enterprise is making these determinations, and although they may argue they want to inform, they're greater concern is making a buck?  oh well...

Thanks for the input though

thechoson

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 01:19:56 PM »
Hey law4, where are you at right now, and where do you want to practice?  Cause though IU is a great school, it's not a national school, so you'd  likely be stuck there for a while.

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 01:20:34 PM »
Hey law4, where are you at right now, and where do you want to practice?  Cause though IU is a great school, it's not a national school, so you'd  likely be stuck there for a while.

My bad, this was for lstudent! sorry!

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 10:16:39 PM »
if i'm remembering correctly, somebody who posts on this board went to a mcgeorge law day and posted his/her comments. off the top of my head, i seem to remember the poster being generally impressed with the people and facilities.

just posting this for what it's worth.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 10:20:08 PM »
here's the post i was talking about. from somebody named "martinibar"

I did manage to visit McGeorge a few weeks ago and I felt they did a very good job of showcasing their school. To be honest I only applied because they sent me an application and a fee wavier and I figured I could use another safety school kinda close to home. The fact that they reimbursed me for traveling expenses didn't hurt either. While I didn't see or experience anything that wasn't already in the literature I did get a sense of the atmosphere of the campus. I think that would be reason enough to go to these things. I'm really an advocate of finding a place you'll be happy to spend three years of your life in. The people seemed very nice, friendly and there was a healthy balance of competition and cooperation. I also have friends and family in the greater Sacramento area so that scored some points with me as well. While I have gotten accepted a much higher ranked schools the feel of the school was something I really liked. Plus my fiance really dug the campus and the people. She did more taking to the Dean of Admissions than I did. Its really amazing to see that woman talk for such a long periods of time. Suffice to say I may actually end up there next fall. Such is the impact of an admitted student's open house. You could very well end up liking or even falling in love with a particular city, campus or program, despite the seductiveness of Tier 1s.

Cheers!

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 09:05:46 AM »
This may not be worth much, but I worked with a McGeorge transferee to Seattle University, who is now a lawyer. She took the first 2 years at McGeorge and then couldn't bear the immaturity of the younger students any longer.  She is a recent graduate (2001 I believe). 

BigDaddy

• 3.2 160 McGeorge School of Law, 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 10:28:10 AM »
I second what Martinibar said..I was at that LSD, and it was great. Made me choose it over Denver, Santa clara, Colorado.etc.....

If there are any questions, please ask away.