Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CARE hostage in Iraq  (Read 350 times)

lazybum

CARE hostage in Iraq
« on: October 22, 2004, 03:11:22 PM »
CARE hostage in Iraq

I am sure that you are also all equally disheartened by events like the one involving the current CARE official being held hostage in Iraq.  I was wondering if any of you guys had any thoughts on the potential effects of this particular hostage situation though.  I myself NEVER watch these videos because, frankly, I donít think I could handle it, but I do read the newspaper/new websites every day and see these things.  I found this hostage situation to be even more disturbing than the previous ones.  I wonder if itís not subconsciously because sheís a woman being held hostage.  Hmm. Not the point though.  I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the political implications of her kidnapping- particularly for Tony Blair.  She apparently pled for Britons to lobby for the withdrawal of British military assistance in Iraq.  I know this isnít exactly the first time this sentiment has been expressed, but do you think there will be an even greater pressure exerted on Blair by his constituents?  - particularly given that today Blair had agreed to recommit troops to help fight insurgents in a specific portion of Iraq that is in major trouble.

Thoughts?

Or am I just being freakishly over concerned about this specific hostage situation? 

jgomez

Re: CARE hostage in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 03:21:09 PM »
I do not support the war nor kidnapping, but I am trying to look at it objectively, and if I was in their shoes, my backs against the wall, I would probably do something like that also. 

Just like suicide bombing used in Iraq and Israel. When faced with despair, death, and no other means of fighting, I think you got to do what you got to do.

If you turn it around, if the US was invaded by a foreign country, and we were outgunned, etc., I have NO doubt, that's NO doubt, that americans would go to all means of trying to get that foreign power out, if that's kidnapping, war atrocities, whatever, we would do it (even if you don't want to admit it).

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 05:21:19 PM »
While I somewhat agree with zemog, I don't think a kidnapping like this is even political anymore, just as the last wave (the 2 Americans and Brit or was it 2 Brits?) wasn't. They asked for something that didn't even exist (to release the female prisoners from a prison where there WERE no female prisoners). These people are just a bunch of criminals who are using the occupation as an excuse to commit murder.

I'm not denying that there are TONS of Iraqis with legitimate grievances whose participation in a resistance I can understand (not necessarily condone). But beheading innocent people who are not the least bit involved in the conflict - or in this case, a woman who has done absolutely nothing but HELP Iraqis - is just murderous and cowardly.

triumph82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 05:22:59 PM »
If the occupier intended to help us, Americans would recognize that.

161, 2.99.