Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT OCTOBER 2004 FEARS  (Read 3581 times)

SEE23

• View Profile
LSAT OCTOBER 2004 FEARS
« on: October 22, 2004, 08:46:22 AM »
Hey all!   Im so nervous that in 3 days, the scores will be available.  Im not sure if I did well but do you guys think it's worth retaking in December?  I want to apply to Rutgers Law School in Newark, NJ.  My gpa is 3.3.  Please give me some advice.

Thanks,
Steph

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT OCTOBER 2004 FEARS
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 09:57:30 AM »
Wait'll you get your score.  We're all hoping to get it today...

The general rule of thumb, at least in my experience, is to only retake if you think you can do at least 5 points better.  Some people even say 10 points better.  Think about it this way:  most schools average LSAT scores.  So say you get a 156 on the Oct LSAT and a 160 on the Dec LSAT.  That would give you a 158-better, but still not stellar.  However, if you think you could get a 166 on the Dec LSAT (based on practice test scores, etc), then you'd have a 162 average, which might actually put you in the running for a T2 school.

If you're looking to go to Rutgers, I'd check out their policy on LSAT scores, it may be different from what I just outlined.

Where did you go to undergrad?  That matters, too.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

murkydreamer

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 10:00:41 AM »
Relax.  Wait until you get your score.  If it's a big drop (and I mean big, not like 3 points) from what you had been scoring in practice or if you didn't really put too much effort into it, then think about re-taking. 

But you shouldn't even be worrying about it until you find out what you got.  You might surprise yourself.   

SEE23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 11:41:37 AM »
Hey, thanks for the advice.  I went to Rutgers University for undergrad.  Do you think Rutgers Law would look more at the fact that I am an alumni of the undergrad school?  Would that make a difference in admissions? ::)

NYKnicks

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 11:52:47 AM »
I don't think going to Rutgers undergrad makes any difference for your admissions chances at Rutgers-Newark Law School, the Undergrad and Law school are treated as different entities, or so a friend of mine who used to work on the admissions board at Rutgers-Camden said. I would think it applies to Newark too.

Either way, just wait for your score first, what did you major in? I went to Rutgers too.

SEE23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 01:26:13 PM »
I majored in Administration of Justice now known as Criminal Justice at Rutgers.  While speaking of majors, I read in a book that some law schools look down upon you if you majored in certain majors like education, communications, criminal justice etc.  Many according to this book, do not believe the classes are rigorous enough.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Steph :)

thejizzus

• LSAT-156 GPA-3.4
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 01:46:14 AM »
the october scores came out today. I got a 156 and have a 3.4 gpa. Im also a philosphy major. Anyone have any opinions on my chances for a mid tier 2 school with these stats?

For you Rutgers people, i go to Stockton College so keep this thread reppin Jersey. :)

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 02:49:11 AM »
thejizzus: I also got a 156.  I have a 3.819 from my degree-granting university and a 3.58 from my two year degree program, which I took while I was in high school (I think it averaged out to a 3.73 or something).  I majored in Jewish Studies (honors), Religious Studies, and Psychology and minored in Hebrew (I'm taking my first philosophy class now. . .not my thing, but it's broadening my horizons, I suppose). 

What schools are you looking at?  I have 14 schools (need to narrow down).  5 are tier I reaches, and the rest are all target or safe schools. 

I'm just curious what schools others with my LSAT range are looking at.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

thejizzus

• LSAT-156 GPA-3.4
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 02:57:00 AM »
Matokah: yea philosophy is a pretty trippy and scary experience, espeically with people with alot of religious studies background, but I dont think i could have done anythign else with my time here becuase it just fits me right. To each their own i guess. Anyways my schools would be like this

1.U San Deigo
2. UC Davis
3. Fordham
4. Loyola
5. Rutgers-Newark
6. UC Santa Clara
7. Chapman

All tier 2 schools or lower. Ive got my heart set on USD becuase of all the wonderful thigns Ive heard about the school and especially the area and I really wanna get out of NJ if possible cuz it makes a guy go crazy after awhile. Thats why most of the schools on my list are in Cali. With my scores im pretty nervous abot UC DAvis and USD now becuase IVe read they place higher standing on LSAT then GPA and all the searching IVe done kinda depresses me where 2-3 points (which is almost 1 point per question) on the LSAT is the difference between having a 25% or 75% chance to get into the school.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 03:40:50 AM »
thejizzus: I know how you feel.  I am horrible at standardized tests, and I hate that a 5 hour test often counts more than 4+ years of hard work to maintain a high GPA.  Oh, well.

I don't really have a #1 choice, but I have about 14 schools so far that I'm trying to narrow down from (this was before I got the LSAT score, of course).

-Berkeley (will still apply, b/c I know they place more emphasis on GPAs)
-Georgetown (will NEVER get in; not sure if I should still waste the money; they have an Arabic MA that I want to do as a joint degree option, which is why I still want to apply.  Blech.)
-Cardoza (study abroad programs in Israel)
-Cornell (another school I probably won't get into; they have a dual j.d./french law degree program)
-Boston U (another study abroad program in Israel)
-Santa Clara (good international program)
-U of San Francisco (ditto)
-U of San Diego (my younger brother is more than likely going there for undergrad next year, and I like their dual degree options)
-Catholic U (they have MA degrees in Semitic languages)
-Northeastern (opportunities for Israeli or Arab internships)
-McGeorge - U of the Pacific (good international program)
-Hamline (Minnesota school as a back-up in case I chicken out about moving away; jerusalem seminar)
-Touro College (internships in Israel)
-Suffolk (internships in Jordan, Egypt, and Kuwait)

So, yeah.  I need to narrow this down or else I will be broke (thank God I got a TA appointment this semester at my school, or else I couldn't afford this).  Ideally I'd like to live in New York, Boston, or California.  I am utterly sick of Minnesota weather, and I need to start fresh somewhere.  I also need to move to an area that has an ice rink and figure skating club, since that's still a big part of my life (and I could work part-time as a coach = $$$! on the East and West Coasts.  $60/hour is a beautiful thing).

Sorry to babble; I'm avoiding grading papers. ;)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)