Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Could you LIE and say you're BLACK on your application?  (Read 3124 times)

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Could you LIE and say you're BLACK on your application?
« on: October 21, 2004, 11:31:10 PM »
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I can't find it if it has.

Can you lie and say you're black when applying to law school? If some schools actually do have lower admissions standards for URMs, it would be worth it, no?

I mean, does your official transcript list your race anywhere, or is it something you fill out on your law school apps?

I wouldn't do it even if I could, but I brought this up for shits and giggles to see what you'd all say. Hell, if you got in and they said "Hey, you're not black" you could say, "What, you're not racist are you?".

NewInTown

Re: Could you LIE and say you're BLACK on your application?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 11:33:22 PM »
Its considered misrepresenting yourself...and you could not be allowed to pass char+fitness.

Your LSAT has your race (unless u lied there too)...and its possible your school records do too...although im not sure

TheDecline

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 11:35:02 PM »
I would definitely do it.  I wish I wouldn't have already sent out my apps.  You should go for it, I think it will work.  It sounds bulletproof.

NewInTown

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 11:35:58 PM »
I would definitely do it.  I wish I wouldn't have already sent out my apps.  You should go for it, I think it will work.  It sounds bulletproof.

ahaha much better reply than mine

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 12:41:29 AM »
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I can't find it if it has.

Can you lie and say you're black when applying to law school? If some schools actually do have lower admissions standards for URMs, it would be worth it, no?

I mean, does your official transcript list your race anywhere, or is it something you fill out on your law school apps?

I wouldn't do it even if I could, but I brought this up for shits and giggles to see what you'd all say. Hell, if you got in and they said "Hey, you're not black" you could say, "What, you're not racist are you?".

It says a lot about a person who would lie to get in.  Second, you need to do away with the myth, and yes it is a myth, that all minorities are admitted with lower scores and GPA.  You might want to look at your folks. 
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

Victor

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 12:50:43 AM »

It says a lot about a person who would lie to get in.  Second, you need to do away with the myth, and yes it is a myth, that all minorities are admitted with lower scores and GPA.  You might want to look at your folks. 

Hey mivida2k I'm going to give you the scores of the World Series games. In other words Im going to tell you how many games there will be and the scores of each game.

If I were you I would find a bookie fast.

FSF17

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:54:24 AM »
What's to stop someone from saying that they are gay on an app? From what I gather, some law schools give special consideration to gays, and people like me, those who don't mind being called gay, would have no disincentive to lie.

Don't worry, though. I wouldn't do it.

Geddon187

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 12:59:35 AM »
What's to stop someone from saying that they are gay on an app? From what I gather, some law schools give special consideration to gays, and people like me, those who don't mind being called gay, would have no disincentive to lie.

Don't worry, though. I wouldn't do it.

WOW!

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 01:02:54 AM »
Please.  They already made a movie about that with C. Thomas Howell and James Earl Jones called "Soul Man."  He takes these pills to become black (because they have those you know) and then applies to Harvard, gets in, comedy ensues, and what do you know, he gets caught!  If we learn nothing from James Earl Jones' forgotten movies, it's never to pretend you are black to get into school.

Plus that whole ethics issue, but who needs ethics, we're going to be lawyers!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

ruskiegirl

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 01:10:27 AM »
I hope you aren't f-ing serious! >:(