Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: which route would you choose?  (Read 1260 times)

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
which route would you choose?
« on: March 30, 2004, 12:36:22 AM »
okay. here's something i'm pouring over right now.

i currently live in az, but i've found a position that i can take w/a very large firm in Chicago (family's there). now this firm wants a committment of a year for this position and is looking for that person to possibly want a career in law all the way up to an attorney. you receive full benefits, work 40hrs/wk, and probably get paid quite well. bearing this in mind, would you:

a) take the job in chicago and stay w/them for a year with the possibility that they would pay for you to probably go to law school part-time (guessing) when you wanted to (and of course got accepted into a program), knowing that it might put your plans for school off by 2yrs max (you're 30 right now, btw, lol)?

OR

b) take the opportunity you could have at a regional T4 who is willing to give you a 50-75% scholarship (for as long as you're there) and then try to transfer down to a good Chicago (because that's where you want to be in the end anyway) school, especially if you're in the top 10-15% of your class at the T4.

the road block i come to in my mind is the time vs. money issue. any thoughts/suggestions/commentary is welcomed.

thanks!
aj

forthguy

Re: which route would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 12:45:38 AM »
okay. here's something i'm pouring over right now.

i currently live in az, but i've found a position that i can take w/a very large firm in Chicago (family's there). now this firm wants a committment of a year for this position and is looking for that person to possibly want a career in law all the way up to an attorney. you receive full benefits, work 40hrs/wk, and probably get paid quite well. bearing this in mind, would you:

a) take the job in chicago and stay w/them for a year with the possibility that they would pay for you to probably go to law school part-time (guessing) when you wanted to (and of course got accepted into a program), knowing that it might put your plans for school off by 2yrs max (you're 30 right now, btw, lol)?

So, a) you're not in Chicago, b) you want to be in Chicago, c) you've got an offer for a good job in Chicago, and d) that job might lead to someone paying for your law school, presumably in Chicago.  That, compared to: a) $75K to $100K in debt in Arizona, and b) you won't be in Chicago, unless you can transfer there.

Given that I'll be well into 32 by the time I'll (hopefully) start a part-time program in the fall, let me just say that your timing seems very good.  :)  While I know it's easy for so many folks to shrug off all the debt they're about to (continue to) accumulate, by August, I will have finally paid off my undergraduate debt.  I'd like to keep it in check, I'd like to have the security of a job, and so I'm perfectly happy making some compromises.  Prestige be damned.  I'd take the job in Chicago.

Greg

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 12:46:05 AM »
As for your route B, I am always somewhat disturbed by people who assume they will kick ass at a lower tiered school and then transfer to a better school.  To shoot for this is one thing, to COUNT on it and make your plans around it is another. 
You could bust your ass at law school, but remember everyone around you will bust their ass too.  When exerted effort is similar amongst students, I would assume those who get the top grades are the ones who "get it" the best, but also students who are used to that kind of pressure cooker situation.  that's why I wish schools would give more consideration to the undergraduate institution.  I believe a student that went to un undergraduate pressure cooker like UCLA (I go there and I know how vicious some of these students can be) or CAL or anywhere where most of the students are hyper-motivated are at least more prepared to deal with that kind of environment then say someone who went to Cal State Humboldt.
But yea, anyways, I digressed.  I would say don't count on being able to do well in law school (at least well enough to transfer to a better tiered school).  This is difficult to do. That's why I'd go with Plan A in your situation.
Good luck with your decision, ultimately you should do what you'd be most comfortable with.

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 01:03:49 AM »
forth, thank you for saying 'prestige be damned.' i beyond loved that. lol and choson? i totally understand what you're talking about.

i'm thinking i need to make a couple clarifications though? firstly, when i said 'regional T4,' i meant w/in the great lakes region. sorry! should've clarified that a little better. :)  and i didn't realize my writing made this to seem that i was possibly planning my future around getting into that %age 'needed' to give me a stepping stone into a better school. i DEFINITELY know better than that. lol i grew up competing against everybody from the class bully (who was for some reason just as smart as me...grr.. >:() to my best friends. fortunately we were all still friends in the end. (lol) but i do see your point on pressure-cooker-type schools vs. seemingly 'laid back' schools so to speak. and i'm in total agreeance with you, choson. honestly? i really do miss being challenged in school here in az. but that's another topic of discussion. (lol)  ::)

but thanks for the opinions! appreciate them!

aj

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 01:29:08 AM »
Honestly for me it would depend on the long term prospects of the situation... If the 40 hour week at a law firm was with a strong firm, and the night program was at a respected school, I would be all over it.

Remember, however that even 'family connections' can go down the tubes due to unforseen circumstances.  You want to assure that even if your family 'incubator' dries up that you can stand on your own.  Not to mention, you might decide you want to practice something different than they do.  Definitely protect your hireability first and foremost.

forthguy

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 01:44:48 AM »
Remember, however that even 'family connections' can go down the tubes due to unforseen circumstances.  You want to assure that even if your family 'incubator' dries up that you can stand on your own.  Not to mention, you might decide you want to practice something different than they do.  Definitely protect your hireability first and foremost.

Of course, a huge part of "standing on your own" involves financial stability.  The job helps with that more than a regional school.  Being hireable at a regional school is going to involve performance more than anything.  Plus, after doing a good job at the firm, no doubt plenty of connections will be available.  My experience has been that employers are often willing to help a good employee gracefully exit to something more desireable.

I'd take fiscal stability over perceived "hireability" most any day.  Especially if there are any questions about what one wants to do in the future.

Greg

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 09:36:36 AM »
lol...sorry aon, but i only have two family members who have graduated from law school and one lives in my hometown across the state line in Indiana and the other is a judge in Indianapolis. i have NO connects in Chicago whatsoever. but man was that a nice thought for a second!! lol

i was just putting in the fact that my parents' families basically lives in chicago, but they're basically scattered all along the banks of lake michigan (w/the exception of the indys) for some reason. lol now if i was applying to IU? then i'd have to take that into consideration considering that family member down in Indy's an alumna. She wants me to apply down there, too. lol

good call though, aon! thanks for your opinion!

aj

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 09:41:38 AM »
I can be pretty blunt and straight-forward, but I would just ask the company if they might be willing down the road to help put you through a part-time program if you have shown potential and been a hard worker, etc.  I think there's nothing wrong with asking them how they might work out with your future plans to go to law school.  I bet they'd have some perspective on your decision, maybe some advice, and you might get a great offer from them regarding part-time law school down the road.  I would definitely call and talk to them about the decision you're trying to make and see what they have to say.  Good luck!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi