Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hi! I'm clueless and in need of help.  (Read 7814 times)

danbee23

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi! I'm clueless and in need of help.
« on: March 29, 2004, 09:03:15 PM »

Hi, I'm a junior in high school and I've recently decided that I want to enter law.
The problem is, I'm quite clueless about it.

I've heard about the LSAT, about the pre-law/law programs.. but I don't KNOW about them.
I'd appreciate it very much if I could get some feedbacks from this post..
It would be SO much help!

Which classes should you take for pre-law?
Which schools have a strong pre-law program?
Exactly HOW hard is it to get into a pre-law/law school?
How many times can you take the LSAT?

and for those who are currently in pre-law/law.

Do you regret your choice?
How is it like being in pre-law/law? (Work amount, opportunities)

grr. I had so many more questions but I can't think of them right now.
Once again, I'd appreciate some feedbacks and hopefully emails if it's okay.  ;)

Thanks and GOD Bless!

ttiwed

Re: Hi! I'm clueless and in need of help.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 08:25:55 PM »
danbee23,

don't fret. you still have a long time to learn all of this stuff. There really is no program in college called "pre-law." that is just a designation for college students who plan to go to law school. there are also no specific schools that have a good "pre-law program." Just try to get into a college that is fairly well known and respected because law schools take your undergraduate institution into account for admissions.

As for what to major in in college... the answer to that is major in anything that interests you. Most pre-law students choose to study political science, history, economics, or english but you can major in anything from zoology to theater to russian and still get into law school.

You can take the LSAT as many times as you want but it can be quite costly (a little over $100 per test). Furthermore, most law schools average the scores so its to your advantage to take it once and do well the first time.

As for how hard it is to get into a "pre-law/law school..." well, getting into "pre-law" isn't that hard because all you need to do is get into college. However, getting into law school trickier. If you don't maintain a college GPA of 3.2 or higher, it gets really hard to get into a decent law school. You also have to do well on the LSAT, which is arguably one of the hardest standardized tests for graduate/professional schools.

good luck  ;)

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 10:35:10 AM »
All this is true and more, do well in college (don't worry about what pre-law cirricula there is) pick a major that you will do WELL in, and study like hell for LSAT (I would say a year worth of prior study before taking the plunge although others disagree, and say that is too much studying). As for LSAT difficulty upside the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) IS the most difficult professional/graduate entrance examination.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 03:30:25 AM »
First of all, you're too young to worry about these things, or to decide your career.  I do reccomend that as an undergrad you take a law course, like crim law, so that you can learn what it's like to read cases, since law school is 3 years of reading cases.  Other than that, just take classes that interest you, and get the best GPA you can, since it's the number 2 factor after the LSAT.  Also, make sure you develop good faculty relationships, because you'll need them when it's time to get your letters of reccomendation.  Above all, just have fun in college, explore new things, and try not to limit yourself by deciding your career path so young.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 02:26:13 AM »
The best thing that you can do in my opinion is go to a bookstore, find their test prep or college section and just sit down and flip through some getting into law school books! I always knew I wanted to go to law school, but it never occured to me that it might be helpful to structure my college around that goal...but go to the bookstore and do that and you should find answers to almost all of your questions!!
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 08:56:32 PM »
yeah i think prelaw major is definately a waste (i didnt even know there was such a thing..auburn doesnt have that!) Do major in what you are interested in because that is valuable in itself and chances are you will make better grades in that subject which could help you out if you decided to continue along the path to Lschool!
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

JD Haze

• The world is mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 10:52:35 AM »
This site may help you out- www.allaboutlawschool.com
A DVD on what to expect in law school. I just saw the trailer on their site...it's pretty cool.

good luck! 
What we think, we become.
--Buddha

LaneSwerver

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 11:04:23 AM »
Good grief...this thread is almost a year old. I guess this person's a senior in high school now!

Romko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 12:00:32 AM »
Guys, he said he is in junior high which means Middle, he is asking to take what in HIGHSCHOOl, not college.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 12:16:19 PM »
Why do people keep resurrecting this thread?