Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who else is NOT voting  (Read 3109 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Who else is NOT voting
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 09:56:05 PM »
I read somewhere the list of states that were most likely, somewhat likely and least likely to either pass legislation or put current legislation into action if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned.

It's nice that you have such faith in state legislatures, but from the basis of that list (which I would look for if the Red Sox weren't playing right now), it's not unreasonable to think that there will be more than a few states that make abortion illegal.

We'll see.

But even if someone does retire (or die) it won't be easy for Bush to get a new SCJ who will satisfy the requirements for your doomsday scenario... whatever that is. No matter what, Roe v. Wade's here to stay.

I agree with this.  I really doubt that Roe v. Wade will ever be overturned.  And even if it is abortion will necessarily be illegal.  The decision will just revert back to the states.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 10:03:29 PM »
I read somewhere the list of states that were most likely, somewhat likely and least likely to either pass legislation or put current legislation into action if Roe v. Wade is ever overturned.

It's nice that you have such faith in state legislatures, but from the basis of that list (which I would look for if the Red Sox weren't playing right now), it's not unreasonable to think that there will be more than a few states that make abortion illegal.

::cough::utah::cough::  ;)

if it's legal in some states, at least women will be able to cross the border into a neighboring state or whatever and still have abortions.  obviously that's a really bad situation still, and i hope it doesn't come to that.

the other thing is that among those justices that are most likely to retire, where do they stand on the roe v. wade issue?  if they're the ones that want to overturn it anyway, replacing them with another justice that wants to overturn wouldn't tip the scale either way.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 10:50:39 PM »
im anxiously awaiting the arrival of my absentee ballot, im also registered in florida so my vote could make a difference.

btw, i think you are a stupid a-hole if you dont vote.

TheDecline

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 10:51:59 PM »
I sent in my absentee ballot last week. 

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 10:52:51 PM »
I sent in my absentee ballot last week. 

@#!*, why havent i received mine yet??  those damn dirty republicans down south must be up to no good again!

TheDecline

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 10:55:11 PM »
I live in FL, btw.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 11:32:28 PM »
the other thing is that among those justices that are most likely to retire, where do they stand on the roe v. wade issue? 

from memory:
Rehnquist opposed
O'Connor/Ginsburg/Stevens for

The issue came up again in Planned Parenthood v. Casey.  This is not something that's simply going to go away.

Bush has already undermined our civil liberties through the interpretations of his house council and installation of john ashcroft and through various attempts at legislation.  I shudder to think that such vile ideology would be institutionalized in a lifetime appointment to the final arbiter of our nation's rights.

Few things get me more riled up than bastardizing our judicial system.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 11:52:23 PM »
Plus Colorado is trying to vote in a change that will split their electoral college votes according to the state's popular vote - which I believe is a good thing - but only if all states do so...otherwise again their votes mean more than mine.

Not necessarily, since Colorado is apparently pretty divided.

Anybody else concerned about election fraud with all the electronic voting systems?  I sure hope this election doesn't have to be decided by the SC again.  I think if the results are disputed like in 2000, it will probably hurt the country and our international relations more than even the Iraq war.

NewInTown

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 12:23:42 AM »
Not voting is like voting for the candidate you hate the most...

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 05:21:31 AM »
If you're not voting because you don't like Bush or Kerry, the is something further to think about.

Very likely, whoever is elected will get to appoint someone to the Supreme Court, and this judge could very likely be the deciding factor in many issues which will have lasting effects for who knows how long.

I should know more about what exactly is at stake here, but the big one that I'm concerned with is the constitutional right of women to choose.  However you feel on this, or on other issues that have been decided with a 5-4 majority in the Supreme Court, consider voting for the person who will likely choose a justice in your favor, if you vote for no other reason.

There's more than the next 4 years at stake whenever a SCJ retires.

With the Senate as evenly divided as it is, neither side is going to be able to get a hard-core ideologue confirmed.  I'm not that worried about SC appointments.