Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: why the lsat is ridiculous  (Read 2157 times)

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
why the lsat is ridiculous
« on: October 20, 2004, 05:32:54 PM »
i know from my experience of doing about 13 of the damn practice tests, my scores varied over a pretty wide range (160-170).  any test that yields such varying results seems to be a poor indicator to me.  there's a big difference between that 160 and 170.  i've noticed some other people having some wide-ranging scores.  is this the norm for everyone or are there just a few of us freaks?
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

superiorlobe

Re: why the lsat is ridiculous
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 05:34:58 PM »
I had a wide range in practice, 166 - 176, but 90% of my tests were either 171 or 172, so I thought it had me pinned down pretty well.

buster

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 05:36:02 PM »
A reasonable point, I think, although I suspect the performance-under-pressure aspect is how this would be countered.

BTW, my practice tests had an 11-point range; that doesn't seem unusual.

i know from my experience of doing about 13 of the damn practice tests, my scores varied over a pretty wide range (160-170).  any test that yields such varying results seems to be a poor indicator to me.  there's a big difference between that 160 and 170.  i've noticed some other people having some wide-ranging scores.  is this the norm for everyone or are there just a few of us freaks?

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 05:41:29 PM »
near the end (last 4/5) i started getting similar scores with 169s and 170s, but the one that wasn't, was a 164.  it made me nervous then, and it still makes me nervous now while i await the terrifying e-mail from lsac.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:49:29 PM »
I had an 11 point spread over all my practice tests (about 7 or 8), but after the first 3, the rest were in a 4-point spread, which I just realized was my scoreband from the real thing.  So it seemed pretty accurate for me (once I got the hang of it).

TheDecline

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 05:51:38 PM »
My scores just sucked balls in general.

Ambs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 06:20:20 PM »
I took about 10 practice tests and my scores have varied from 159 to 172, so it sounds like a large range isn't abnormal. My last tests were also all around 170, so I'm hoping my actual score falls right around there or a little higher (I can still hope, right!?). It seems that scores start out low when you're less familiar with the test and then jump and level off once your confortable with the format. So much of this test is about getting to know the test itself. That doesn't seem to be an accurate measure of aptitude, but rather your ability to study the test. I suppose that still says something.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 06:22:23 PM »
i guess basically, this is just me venting my frustration about having where i go to law school basically be determined by a 1 test score. 

superiorlobe

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 06:24:16 PM »
and remember -- where you go to law school determines how worthwhile your life is.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 06:27:07 PM »
it does seem ridiculous to fret so much about a seemingly minor detail in the whole scheme of things, but let's face it, it will determine the next 3 years of my life and then who knows...