Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for Advice on NYC schools  (Read 660 times)

Prince Rondavel

• View Profile
    • Blog
Looking for Advice on NYC schools
« on: March 29, 2004, 02:41:45 PM »
I just spent a few days touring NY Law, Brooklyn, and Cardozo, but I'm still not sure where I should go.

NYLaw has offered me $15k and honors program deal that would put in automatically on the Law Review if I can place in the top %15 of the class.  They have a communication law program which seems really interesting.  The downside is that their tuition for next year is going to be $34k.  The upside of that is that it will not increase during the 3 years I'll be there.

Brooklyn has offered me $10k.  It's a higher ranked school, but it does not have a specific comm law program, although it does have enough comm law classes to get me excited.  I'm not sure what exactly the tuition is going to be, but if it's around $30k or 31k then the amount of money I'll be responsible for is going to be about the same as it would be for NYLaw. Plus I only need to get into the top %30 to keep my scholorship, and it could increase the better I do.

I would really like to go to Cardozo, but they have still not accepted me.  The communication law program there is very appealing.  When I visited they just told me that they were giving me a good look.  My GPA is higher than what they are accepting (3.61) but my LSAT is one point lower (162).

So any advice between NYLaw and Brooklyn?  I'm not really interested in working for a big firm, communication law could take me to one of them, into a media (tv, radio, publishing, internet, music) company, or into government or public interest work. What school will offer me the most options?  The amount of money I end up owing is a big factor mainly because the amount of money I make when I get out is not. 

Thanks,
P.R. 

prettylily

• View Profile
Re: Looking for Advice on NYC schools
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 06:54:44 PM »
Honestly, I would choose Brooklyn.  I am from NYC but I do not plan to go to school or work here.  I have only applied to Brooklyn and I am still waiting.

I would choose Brooklyn because they are higher ranked, I believe that they have better job placement.  It would be easier to retain your scholarship and the facilities at Brooklyn are so much better than NY Law.  Personally, I don't see why they're asking for so much money considering...

I took a tour of both schools and while I preferred the vibe at NY Law (it was a little bit more casual and laid back), if I had to, I would choose Brooklyn because I think that they have more to offer.

Just my opinion...HTH.

But...If you really like Cardozo, I would try to wait as long as I could until I hear from them.  Cardozo and Brooklyn seem to be compared a lot and when I went to BLS's "A Day In Brooklyn" (their special program), our guide went out of his way to tell us how BLS was better than Cardozo.  (There might be a rivalry there).  Being as I've never been to Cardozo, I have no opinion on that school.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for Advice on NYC schools
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 07:55:19 PM »
Yeah, the Brooklyn people miss no opportunity to bash Cardozo, which really turned me off to them. Their (Bkln) facilities are nicer, and they get more as far as judicial placements, but they've been fairly stagnant in the rankings while Cardozo has been soaring. I think there's a lot of resentment there that Cardozo has surpassed them in only 25 years (while Bkln has been around for 103).

As far as Bkln or NYL, definitely Bkln. If money's not an overriding factor, then Bkln is far ahead of NYL by just about any measure.