Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which school is rising?  (Read 10108 times)

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
Re: Which school is rising?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 01:50:43 AM »
A bunch that are way out of my reach, heh.  I have a 3.82 GPA from UMN, but I got a 2 year degree while still in high school with a GPA of 3.58, so I believe I got averaged out by LSAC around 3.73.  With a 156 LSAT score (which is pretty good, considering I scored in the 19th percentile on the psych GRE, and I was amply prepared for that godforsaken test), I really shouldn't be looking at these schools, but I have to dream, right?

Reaches: Georgetown (I'd love to do their JD/MA in Arabic studies program), Boston U (they have study abroad options to Israel for Hebrew speakers), UC Berkeley (I heard they look for more than LSAT scores), Cardoza (same thing with the Israel abroad programs + a Holocaust restitution/claims clinic), Cornell (emphasis on International law).

Targets: Santa Clara (international focus), U of San Francisco (ditto), U of San Diego (ditto), Catholic U (they have an MA in Semitic languages that I think I could convince the dean to let me do as a joint degree), Northeastern (possibility of internships abroad).

Safeties: University of the Pacific (international focus), Hamline (Jerusalem program during january term + place to fall back on if I chicken out about leaving MN), Touro (bunch of Israeli internship options), and Suffolk (internship options with Egypt, Jordan, and Kuwait).

So, yes.  I have way too many schools, but I want to be safe.  My LSAT score does not make this an easy process, unfortunately.

Where in Michigan are you from?  My grandparents live in Maranesco (sp?) on Lake Gogebic.  They used to live in Ironwood up in the good ol' U.P.  At least you're prepared for the crappy winters.  This will be my first year living off campus (in NorthEast) and taking a bus into campus; I have a feeling I'm going to freeze to death on the way in.

Ack.  Sorry for the length.  My procrastination when it comes to doing my philosophy paper and grading students' papers knows no bounds.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

cherrypaka

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 02:19:59 PM »
loyola (in los angeles) has risen like crazy.

lexylitstinks

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 06:36:22 PM »
Why? Do you think you'll have a chance there?

Which school do you see rising the most in the next rankings and why?

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 08:20:28 AM »
Downy, are you attending the law school right now?  I'll probably (hopefully) go there next year.  Would you recommend it? 
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.

DOWNY

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 12:19:17 PM »
Downy, are you attending the law school right now?  I'll probably (hopefully) go there next year.  Would you recommend it? 

Yeah I recommend it. I don't have any major complaints. Overall the atmosphere is pretty good and the profs are talented.

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 12:27:06 PM »
Minnesota is one of my safeties but I'm not sure if I would go..

I've been hearing that their faculty are often courted by the top schools, so there is the risk of their rank plummeting

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 07:36:56 AM »
Unfortunately the law school rankings (US News and World Report) doesn't give faculty rating much weight.  Otherwise Minnesota would do much better.  It's consistantly ranked in the top ten for faculty quality by other sources.  With in state tuition Minnesota is looking like a good deal.

esoteric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2004, 12:30:45 PM »
I find this to be a much more informative (and quite different) ranking system than USNWR:

http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings/

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2004, 12:56:58 PM »
Too bad the leiter national rankings only rank the top 16 or so schools :(

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 10:03:49 AM »
I've seen that ranking before, but I'm suspicious of any ranking coming from faculty at a law school (or a school that is associated with a law school).