Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Phi Beta Kappa  (Read 1764 times)

feelthenoize

• View Profile
Re: Phi Beta Kappa
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 10:25:39 PM »
In terms of selectivity, there is a big prestige gap b/w a Rhodes and PBK due to the number selected for each.  But when it comes to name recognition of the various honors you can attain as an undergrad, PBK is pretty close behind Rhodes.

It'll take too long to list the many ways the PBKers I know have benefited, so just take my word for it: it creates opportunities.

The point is that you should join if you're fortunate enough to be elected.  And whether you do or not you shouldn't say or suggest it's insignificant when virtually everybody w/ a college degree recognizes that it is.

BigBadBo

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 11:01:52 PM »
And whether you do or not you shouldn't say or suggest it's insignificant when virtually everybody w/ a college degree recognizes that it is.

I would doubt 50% of college graduates known what Phi Beta Kappa is, even if they have heard the name.

BigBadBo

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 11:03:21 PM »
That comment was not mean to be disparaging - I would be doing that to myself as well as all of you - just a statement I think is accurate.

I'll take your word on PBK creating opportunities - Perhaps we'll all have that positive experience one day.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 11:34:30 PM »
There was a discussion about this on another thread and I am probably about to have my ass jumped again but I will say it anyway....
I think PBK (or anyother honor society) is a great thing to have on your resume and I think anyone should join it if given the chance. However, I don't think it is the end all be all that some people on this sight seem to make it out to be.  I had never even heard of PBK prior to getting on this board as my school did not have it...we had Alphi Chi which is similar (it has the same admissions standard of being in the top 10 percent of the senior class and has about 300 chapters nationwide...it just doesn't require one to be a liberal arts major...plus I think Alpha Chi is more predominant in Texas because only four TX schools even have a PBK chapter, but most of the TX schools have Alpha Chi.)  Only about 260 liberal arts schools have this organizations...so that means more universities don't have it then do.  It takes the top 10% of seniors which amounts to about 15,000 students every year (and I got this off of the the PBK website so I know it is true) and has about 600,000 people total.  Obviously, these numbers are not too terribly elitist.  With that said, I am not discounting the fact that it is a big honor or that it would advantageous to join....but come on, it is not the equivalent of being a Rhodes Scholar!     
Attending: Texas

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 11:39:20 PM »
Re: How well known PBK.

This story is 100% true, but I don't blame you for not believing it; it was quite a coincidence.

My sister is not, to be delicate, the best student ever. She was doing some GPA calculations, and ultimately figured out that even if she got A's for the rest of her academic career, there was no way she could get into Phi Beta Kappa. She was home one weekend (I live at home due to proximity to University of Arizona; she goes to another college, and comes home a weekend every few months), and mentioned it to me. I kind of absorbed it. Later that same day, I got a letter from PBK, with the standard, "You're very smart, give us money" spiel. I then went back to ask her what PBK was, and showed her the letter.

Were it not for that coincidence, I probably would have thrown my letter away, since I was already in Golden Key and didn't know PBK was better.

Not on the level of PBK, but it [Golden Key] is certainly prestigious.  It indicates you are top 15% of your class, which, depending on your school, is nothing to shirk at.

University of Arizona, which is a fairly good public school. Thanks!
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2005, 09:18:45 PM »
A couple of questions:

First, to the ppl accepted into PBK, what math courses did you take?

Second, I was nominated to Golden Key, but did not join because I thought it was one of the racket honor societies.  Would it be worth it to join, or do you think saying "Golden Key Nominee" on my resume would be sufficient?

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2005, 09:23:01 PM »
i highest level math courses i took were differential equations/linear algebra stuff.  i also took a couple mid-level stats courses.

don't know much about golden key, but i doubt having "golden key nominee" would mean a whole lot on your resume.

GLOBALgal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2005, 09:32:09 PM »
It's pretty bad to say, "I was nominated to..."  Either pay the dues to join, or don't.  If you do, you deserve to have it on your resume.  If not and you put the nomination on your resume, you just look like a cheap jackass.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 03:01:48 PM »
I can't believe people didn't know what PBK is.  Shocking. 

Pretty funny (at least in the context of this thread): I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa, the national 2 year college honor society.  I put that in one of my apps because they count my grades for my AAS, but not my degree itself and I thought I should get something out of it.  Anyway, a friend reading my app thought I meant PBK and got the greek letters wrong.  LOL!

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 03:13:10 PM »
I have to kind of agree with GLOBAL on that, but those things really do add up, course so does applying to law school.

I am not familiar with this honor society, is it just for liberal arts and science majors?