Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Work Experience  (Read 497 times)

drew617

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Work Experience
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:39:27 PM »
I keep hearing about how it's so beneficial to work after UG before applying to law.  Is it really that big of an advantage? Is it more common to work a little or go directly into law?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Work Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 08:45:00 PM »
who keeps tell you that it's an advantage?

A lot of people go straight into law.  I don't think it matters either way, but you should do what you want to do, and what you feel is best for where you are at in your life. 

Cletus

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 08:49:09 PM »
Having some interesting work experience that demonstrates those attributes law schools look for can only be a good thing. Also it can help distinguish yourself from others with similar numbers. However, it can cut both ways, I suppose. Tending the salad bar at Wendy's for 5 years wouldn't sound too impressive to me  ;D

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 08:54:49 PM »
I agree with Cheeks.  Working after undergrad has definitely helped me get a better idea of what I really want to do for a career.  (Ok, more like what I don't want to do, but anyway...)  Plus, I think I would really have burned out if I went straight to law school after undergrad.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 08:59:59 PM »
i think it partially depends on where you want to go.  some schools are really big on work experience.  northwestern is a good example.  something absurd like 80%+ have at least 1 year of work experience, and they're trying to increase the number all the time.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

defense

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 09:05:54 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  I have about one and half years of work experience as a financial analyst.  I quit in January so that I could finish my Masters full time.  I wonder how this will look to adcoms.