Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: National Society of Collegiate Scholars - good or bad?  (Read 2260 times)

fingerscrossed

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
National Society of Collegiate Scholars - good or bad?
« on: October 19, 2004, 06:21:35 PM »
Though I am technically a member of NSCS, I've never been to a meeting or done anything with them.  I don't know anything about them except that they send me emails all the time.  I think, my freshman year, they sent the invitation to my parents' house, my mom opened it and thought it was a huge honor and signed me up without asking me.  My school didn't have Phi Beta Kappa, so should I list this on my resume and app or not?  What I'm asking is, is this organization a huge joke among adcomms and will it look bad if I list it or will it just be neutral or possibly good? 
"You know that Pepperidge Farm bread, that stuff is fancy. That stuff is wrapped twice. You open it, and then still ain't open. That's why I don't buy it, I don't need another step between me and toast."

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: National Society of Collegiate Scholars - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 06:30:04 PM »
huh.  i kinda wonder that, too.  i got invitations to that group both of my first two years but i never bothered with it.  seemed like a waste of 40 bucks or whatever it was.
3.7/165.  How crazy to finally have real stats...

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 06:33:18 PM »
I didn't put it on my applications for the reason you suggested.

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 07:42:41 PM »
I am actually the president of NSCS at KU:)  Nationally, most members are not active.  It really is more of a resume builder.  I'm not sure how impressive it would really be an a resume.  I know at KU we have about 1,400 members out of around 26,000.  I'm sure adcoms don't look at it as bad, but you probably shouldn't waste the space if you have other honors. 
Attending Duke

dunson

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 08:29:53 PM »
*&^% i thought this thing was like the skull and bones at yale but nationwide...and i thought id be a ceo/president one day

jeriatric_ceasa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:52:23 PM »
I'll probably put it my resume even though it seemed like everyone at my school with a 3.5 or better got on it.

jg049457

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 09:09:03 PM »
Why the heck wouldn't you put it on your resume? It may no be the greatest honor but its still something that your application might have over that of another applicant. I wasn't very active in NSCS either but wound up being President for a semester. You can sure bet I put that, National Dean's List and Who's Who on my resume along with the really really big honors.

JRG83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 09:26:35 PM »
being president of NSCS is definitely something I would put on my resume-- it shows leadership and distinguishes you from the hoards of other college students who are just members of NSCS. 
However, I think most law schools are aware that the credentials needed to gain nomination to NSCS arent anything close to stellar, and that payment is the only other standard of admission to the society.  If you are applying to competitive schools, chances are your GPA will reflect the merit-based aspect of this award, and putting it on your resume will probably not make you stand out over another qualified applicant-- and only take up space.

fingerscrossed

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 10:28:42 PM »
I certainly hope my question did not offend anyone, especially those people who are in leadership positions with NSCS.  Obviously, if you are an active member and have participated in leadership roles, that is something to be proud of.  Being that no one has ever really talked about NSCS on this board, though, I had no idea what the public opinion was of this group and was just trying to guage how it was viewed.
"You know that Pepperidge Farm bread, that stuff is fancy. That stuff is wrapped twice. You open it, and then still ain't open. That's why I don't buy it, I don't need another step between me and toast."

KatieManley01

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - katiemanley01@Hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 12:06:18 AM »
No offense taken:)  I have a lot of friends in NSCS, but most have never attended a single meeting (even though I beg them!).  And yes, I will definitely be putting this on my resume since I have held the President and VP role.  But, I agree with another poster.  I think most adcoms know you are invited into NSCS with a certain gpa, so there is no real need to include it.  However, if you have the space to add honors societies, they are a nice addition to any resume.
Attending Duke