Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do any lawyers actually LIKE their job?  (Read 4446 times)

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Do any lawyers actually LIKE their job?
« on: October 19, 2004, 06:13:52 PM »
I've heard a lot about the job satisfaction ratings for lawyers being really low. Does anyone know of/work for any lawyers that like their job? What kind of work do they do? Is it just the corporate whores that hate their work, or is this more of an "across-the-board" type of thing?

Kollesch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do any lawyers actually LIKE their job?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 06:49:10 PM »
A friend of mine works at a top firm and she seems to like it, even though admittedly she hasn't been there for long (she works at a top DC firm). I thought about this issue, and I believe there are ways to find a job that interests you and that has a good work atmosphere. It all depends on your priorities. First, it if you talk about biglaw, you have to understand that you will always work quite a bit there, so if you don't want to have a life that revolves primarily around your job don't do it. Second, if you want to have a life, do not go to NYC. NYC has always been my dream city and I always wanted to live there but after talking to a lot of people I'm not gonna work there. It's just not a good place to work for lawyers if you care to have any sort of social life. You can go to other cities, earn the same and work less for it. Third, if salary is your only criterium it's your own fault. My friend said during the recruiting process you quickly get a sense which firms work you to death and which don't. Look for these things. Bottom line is, choose an area of work that interests you and then choose wisely. Then I believe you gonna find the people who like their jobs.

mattm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 07:07:36 PM »
I have actually been wondering the same thing. It seems like becoming a lawyer, for a lot of people, is just a stable way to make a very good living. I can't think of any other jobs that have such high incomes and potential with such little amount of schooling. Aside from an MD, is it probably the best degree to get if you are the average person. Getting a JD seems like just a safe bet for a lot of people.

AuburnChick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 07:17:23 PM »
im sure it varies alot in the type of law you choose.  i thought i wanted to be a real estate attorney until i worked for one...she had (in my opinion) the most boring job i could imagine.  then, i watched an attorney try a case for the us district court of alabama and her job looked so exciting! i think law school provides you that opportunity to find your nitch...as for the two women i spent time with---i dont even know how they can be considered to have the same career....so completely different!
158, 3.3
Accepted: Samford, South Texas, Georgia State
priority waitlist (as of July 17th, still no "sorry you're rejected" courtesy call..jerks!): U Richmond
Rejected: U Houston, Emory, Wake

ATTENDING-SAMFORD!

dunson

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 08:14:58 PM »
of course some/most lawyers like their jobs

of course some don't like their jobs

i see a lot of happy lawyers every day i go to work

oh auburn chick, do you mean real estate law as in simple closings?? bleh, totally easy and mindnumbing, but i worked in the same suite as one of the top real estate firms in the area, they would do major office buildings, litigation between developers, crazy *&^% and it seemed much more interesting, so maybe that'd be a way to go

vmersich

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:18:49 PM »
What's a criterium?

Contrary to some stuff I've said on here before, I think I would work for a BIGLAW firm if I end up in Pittsburgh.  From what I can tell, their hours are roughly 40-50 per week.  I can live with that.  I will never ever ever ever ever never ever nerver nover niver notter nutter ever work for a firm that requires me to work 80+ hours/week regularly. 

dunson

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:24:22 PM »

or even worse  that could mean 40-50 billable hours, not hours worked

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 08:27:22 PM »
my dad adores his job.

most of the people at my firm enjoy what they do, although they like to tease "why would you go to law school after seeing what it's like here?!?"

i think some dissatisfaction comes from joining a med-big firm after clerking, which most of the associates here did. when you clerk everything is super-fast-track, your opinion is totally listened to, the work is exciting, and your role is crucial. when you suddenly find yourself at the bottom of the totem pole, writing motions that are then signed by partners and doing research just to help them brainstorm, it can feel like a big step down.

different firms give baby associates different levels of responsibility. my firm claims to give a lot more of it than bigger firms and than east coast firms.

dunson

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 08:28:59 PM »
yeah lexylit makes a good point....a family friend is making 150 at a firm in nyc to write memos on caselaw to the associate writing the motions...you cannot like that job

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 08:29:13 PM »
How many hours do BIGLAW lawyers usually work in the South - particularly Miami? Is there even a difference?