Law School Discussion

Anyone here have experience with Finance courses?

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here have experience with Finance courses?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 11:56:22 AM »
Investment analysis is interesting

Did you use Graham and Dobb as your textbook?  Seems outdated, but Warren Buffett was a student of Graham... 

AaronJ

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 12:11:48 PM »
i actually have a finance midterm in like 3 hours ... muh

Anyways, at my school, you would need to know quite a bit of math for all those courses; namely matrix algebra and multi-variable calculus.  But this may not be the case at most schools ???

Believe Cheeks on this.  U. of Toronto is hard core.  I know because one of my profs David Fewings, a prize doctoral student of the famous/infamous father of the Gordon dividend discount model, studied their under him.  He is a massive pain in the ass (writing me an LOR, though) and expects a much higher degree of mathematics then some of the other profs for the same classes.  You could easily run into this anywhere.

rohan

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 12:26:39 PM »
1) International Financial Management
Here goes: The only place where complicated math could be introduced based on these descriptions is with foreign currency hedging since it will involve derivatives, namely foreign currency swaps, options, and forwards.  I would be shocked if there was any calculus since a class like this is more focused on how companies operate in the global environment as opposed to the inner workings of exotic instruments.

2) Investment Analysis
Complex mathematics possible here, but it's not a foregone conclusion though.

3) Corporate
Absolutely none, unless your professor is insane

4) Possible here, but not a foregone conclusion

Rowgirl

• 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 01:07:33 PM »
I'm taking International now, and all the math is pretty much algebra, basic stuff.  I'm also taking Investments, and its the same, just algebra.  Corporate doesn't seem like it'd require anything more advanced than alegbra either, but it could depend on your prof.  When I took institutions and markets, there was barely any math, it was all theory, rules, history.  The only math I think we used was figuring out new divisors for the indices after stock splits, etc.  And if you don't have it, definatly get the BAII+.  I have it, its a godsend.  A prof I took has a great description of how to use it for all different problems on his website, I'll look for the link for you if yo'ure interested.

rohan

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 01:15:49 PM »
I'm taking International now, and all the math is pretty much algebra, basic stuff.  I'm also taking Investments, and its the same, just algebra.  Corporate doesn't seem like it'd require anything more advanced than alegbra either, but it could depend on your prof.  When I took institutions and markets, there was barely any math, it was all theory, rules, history.  The only math I think we used was figuring out new divisors for the indices after stock splits, etc.  And if you don't have it, definatly get the BAII+.  I have it, its a godsend.  A prof I took has a great description of how to use it for all different problems on his website, I'll look for the link for you if yo'ure interested.

Yeah, I actually would not be shocked if he took all four of those courses without seeing any calculus whatsoever.  Oh, and the BAII+ is the way to go, I agree.  I'm on the third level of the Chartered Financial Analyst program and it has been a God send.

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 01:33:20 PM »
Great stuff guys. Just out of curiosity, is getting a Marketing degree instead of Finance going to have the same career opportunities, respectability for me after school or will it generally limit my options?

The difference for me would just be one semester worth of courses. If I did Marketing, I would only have to take:

1) Marketing Research
2) Consumer Behavior
3) International Marketing Management
4) Retail Management

These, I have heard, don't involve any math what-so-ever, which is definitely not a strong point for me at any level. I am a bit concerned about my job prospects if I do Marketing instead of Finace though. However, I am pretty sure both will give me much higher prospects than a BA in Psychology, right?

Trancer

• Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 01:44:01 PM »
No we mostly stuck to Sharpe, Fama, Black + Sholes... the older new generation of financial scientists and technicians.

Rowgirl

• 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
Just from what I've seen:  I'm a senior this year.  Many of my finance major friends have had their jobs secured since the summer.  Not one of my marketing major friends has a job yet.  I don't know a finance major who graduated from my school last year who doesn't have a job in finance or something related (I'm sure there are some out there, I just don't know them).  I know four marketing majors who are doing something they don't want to do, because they can't find anything else.

Great stuff guys. Just out of curiosity, is getting a Marketing degree instead of Finance going to have the same career opportunities, respectability for me after school or will it generally limit my options?

The difference for me would just be one semester worth of courses. If I did Marketing, I would only have to take:

1) Marketing Research
2) Consumer Behavior
3) International Marketing Management
4) Retail Management

These, I have heard, don't involve any math what-so-ever, which is definitely not a strong point for me at any level. I am a bit concerned about my job prospects if I do Marketing instead of Finace though. However, I am pretty sure both will give me much higher prospects than a BA in Psychology, right?

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 04:12:33 PM »
I'm still looking for some help here...

foxnewssucks

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 04:21:37 PM »
I'm still looking for some help here...

what else do you want to know?