Law School Discussion

more formal of informal?

trogdor

• the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
more formal of informal?
« on: October 19, 2004, 11:13:37 AM »
so what do you think... should the ps be more formal (no contractions, no "to be" verbs, etc.) or informal.  i'm struggling with this because i think contractions make it sound more personal (among other things), but what will THEY think?

jayhawk

Re: more formal of informal?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 11:14:42 AM »
I would go with formal, unless it's really necessary to use informal to get the point across.

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 11:16:50 AM »
so what do you think... should the ps be more formal (no contractions, no "to be" verbs, etc.) or informal.  i'm struggling with this because i think contractions make it sound more personal (among other things), but what will THEY think?

use contractions and don't capitalize - it'll make it seem more personal and friendly.

HTH

egg

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 12:05:16 PM »
Formal. The PS certainly should be personal, though it should be so because of the essay content instead of an informal tone.

egg

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 12:06:09 PM »
use contractions and don't capitalize - it'll make it seem more personal and friendly.

HTH

I just text messaged my PS in 300 characters to the Cornell admissions secretary's cel phone.

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 12:07:45 PM »

HTH

I just text messaged my PS in 300 characters to the Cornell admissions secretary's cel phone.

Now that's the type of creativity that will get you noticed!

egg

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 12:10:29 PM »
"i ttly h8 hvrd + luvNY let egg in plz."