Law School Discussion

Yale 250 word essay: Ideas & Insights

amelus

• View Profile
Re: Yale 250 word essay: Ideas & Insights
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 04:48:47 PM »
gotya.  interesting that you chose personal statement for intellectual paper and the short essay to develop personality. 

lexylit

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 04:50:25 PM »
gotya.  interesting that you chose personal statement for intellectual paper and the short essay to develop personality. 

nah, my personal statement isn't really intellectual either  ;)

well maybe self-deprecatingly intellectual... mocking the whole idea of what it means to be an intellectual  :D

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 05:02:48 PM »
ha--can certainly be done intellectually.  well i think you may have a better handle on the whole process than i do, but it seems to me that you might want to be careful with that topic.

a) i'm sure many people write along the same idea, or at least about any given topic with the same tone
b) in certain instances, or to certain admiss. officers who had lousy coffee that morning, it might come across as anti-intellectual or s/t else that rubs them in the wrong way.

i guess i'm just saying s/t you probably already know.  a topic/tone like that can rub people the wrong way, even when it is not meant or written in such a way.

lexylit

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 05:07:08 PM »
thanks, but i sent all my apps in a month ago, so i'm choosing not to listen to any more tips  ;)

amelus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 05:12:34 PM »
oh--had i known i wouldnt have said a word, my apologies.

Cheeks

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 05:34:34 PM »
i guess i'm just saying s/t you probably already know.  a topic/tone like that can rub people the wrong way, even when it is not meant or written in such a way.

lexy rub someone the wrong way  :o impossible

lexylit

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 05:37:22 PM »
lexy rub someone the wrong way  :o impossible

:-*

buster

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 07:26:11 PM »
oops  :'(

I have a friend who works at Yale's admissions office (a student just doing clerical work), and apparently his take is that they are definitely looking for something intellectual. A few students who I know currently at Yale wrote their 250 on politics in the Middle East, specifically Israel. May be a pattern...

JRG83

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 09:40:54 PM »
double oops.

lexylit

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 11:00:30 PM »
I have a friend who works at Yale's admissions office (a student just doing clerical work), and apparently his take is that they are definitely looking for something intellectual. A few students who I know currently at Yale wrote their 250 on politics in the Middle East, specifically Israel. May be a pattern...

i'm not capitulating with an oops.

i won't get into yale, but not b/c my essay wasn't intellectual enough. that's what i think anyway. i'm about 100% confident about that.