Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any mcgill students (or considering it)?  (Read 2597 times)

victrola

• View Profile
any mcgill students (or considering it)?
« on: October 19, 2004, 01:08:17 AM »
i had written mcgill off of my list because of the french requirement, but i love montreal and the international reputation mcgill has and am now considering applying.

does anyone have any inside information (especially about the french requirement)?

i did my undergrad at mcgill and spent 6 years living in montreal.  opinions on whether this would have a positive impact on my application?

finally, i "passed" the french evaluation, but just barely.  i'd be committed to taking a course or two and improving my french skills, but will it be sufficient as i have never really felt bilingual, despite taking 10 years worth of french in school.

thanks!

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: any mcgill students (or considering it)?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 01:59:40 AM »
I have heard from the horse's mouth (ie. a McGill student) that there is no French at McGill: except at the admission stage.  Except for a few first year courses where a few readings are in French (and for which outlines can be easily gotten in English), most second and third year courses have no, or almost no French. 

Morale of the story: if you can get admitted, you will be fine.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:07:08 AM »
mcgill = t.t.t.  :D

HTH

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:27:16 PM »
what really is the consensus on mcgill law?  i thought it could open a lot of international doors b/c of it's reputation (at least it has in the case of my undergrad degree), but maybe the law program there is sub-par.  at least it's nice to know that i don't need fluent french in order to get by.  thanks for the information!

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 01:43:14 PM »
I was serious about the ttt comment.  I am very anti-mcgill and anti-osgoode.  As per opening 'international doors', I would say it would depend on what area of law.  If it were in corporate, it would be behind UofT and Osgoode for sure.

You will need to speak french for one first year course...that's it.  And you can probably get by with very basic knowledge of the language.  Plus, Montreal is basically anglo. so you won't need french for daily life.  I lived in montreal, and hung around the mcgill, and I don't speak fluent french; didn't seem to hurt me.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 05:26:15 PM »
I was serious about the third tier toilet comment.  I am very anti-mcgill and anti-osgoode.  As per opening 'international doors', I would say it would depend on what area of law.  If it were in corporate, it would be behind UofT and Osgoode for sure.

You will need to speak french for one first year course...that's it.  And you can probably get by with very basic knowledge of the language.  Plus, Montreal is basically anglo. so you won't need french for daily life.  I lived in montreal, and hung around the mcgill, and I don't speak fluent french; didn't seem to hurt me.

As an addendum, you don't need to speak French, but rather somewhat understand it.  All exams are accepted in English and French.

McGill is a good school.  I know you're anti-Osgoode Cheeks, but the truth is that if non-corporate international law is what you are interested in, McGill is probably the best place to go to.  BTW, if you are even entertaining the idea of clerking esp. for the supreme court, McGill is the way to go.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 05:39:44 PM »
the international law program at UofT would put Mcgill's to shame.  For corporate and international, i think UofT is far better than Mcgill, and I'm not really a UofT advocate either.  For anything else, they are probably closer in comparison, but i would still say UofT is in general, a much better school (if not based purely on admission standards ie. quality of entering class)

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 08:33:14 PM »
the international law program at UofT would put Mcgill's to shame.  For corporate and international, i think UofT is far better than Mcgill, and I'm not really a UofT advocate either.  For anything else, they are probably closer in comparison, but i would still say UofT is in general, a much better school (if not based purely on admission standards ie. quality of entering class)

I haven't gone to either, but I very much doubt this assesement.  If by international, we mean US, of course UofT is better--heck, it's even trying the whole JD thing.  If we're talking Europe, McGill is really the only international law university in Canada (UofO coming a distant second).  Let's not kid here: the extra BCL means a lot.  I have forgotten the placement rates for McGill in the international arena, so I won't quote them, but they have been higher than UofT for every year.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 08:39:36 PM »
sorry,

I was talking about 'international law' ... like, their respective programs.  I guess you're talking about reputation.  Yeah, I would agree the UofT and Mcgill would have similar international reps.

LenCanadian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 08:48:56 PM »
Hey, I have some questions about getting into McGill.....If you do take the LSAT do you know how much it is taken into consideration in relation to grades? What about work, volunteer and references?? They say on the website that they take a "holistic" approach to admission but I don't know exactly what they're looking for...anyone have any idea what kind of GPA and LSAT score could get you in there?