Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any mcgill students (or considering it)?  (Read 2717 times)

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: any mcgill students (or considering it)?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 08:51:35 PM »
GPA would need to be high...3.70+ range.  Their median LSAT is around a 160 ...

They probably do take a 'holistic' approach and I really have no idea what they would look for.  I have a friend who would know a lot about this.  I'll ask him and get back to you.

LenCanadian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 09:06:19 PM »
thanks...I am kind of interested in going to Mcgill but my GPA is not that high, I think it's around 3.5...I'm doing my undergrad at UBC and they use percentages though so I don't know exactly how to convert it...it's pretty likely that my LSAT will be over 165 though if my practice tests are a good indication so maybe that will make up for it.....I'm going crazy waiting for that LSAT score....ohh well...hopefully only 3 more days...

russiankitty

• MSN Messenger - zoueva@aya.yale.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - morphy4444
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 09:34:17 PM »
Why are you anti-McGill Cheeks? I've heard either great things about McGill or have gotten blank stares... As I see it, if the market is bad, McGill won't help that much (probably same reputation as UT - good school but not the top 14), but if the market is good you can definitely get into a very good NYC big law firm if you want. Or international law, it IS good for that. Plus, it's really cheap. Always a good thing.
As for admissions, maybe you're OK if you're an American? They probably have some kind of geographical distribution...

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 09:56:50 PM »
I don't understand the "good school, but not a t14" comment.  Obviously, in US, the t14 would have a better reputation - but in Canada, I think Canadian firms, as well as the general public, would hold UT and Mcgill way ahead of pretty much every t14 (along with a few other canadian schools).  I personally don't believe this to be true, but I'm positive that any Canadian firm would hold a degree from UT in much higher regard than a degree from Duke, UMich, or any other school in that range.

I'm anti-mcgill for the same reasons I'm anti-york.  These schools choose to do things so differently from everyone else that I think it ends up hurting their students and their reps.  It's hard to explain ... but i think people that have had experiences with these schools know what i'm talking about.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 10:19:43 PM »
I'm anti-mcgill for the same reasons I'm anti-york.  These schools choose to do things so differently from everyone else that I think it ends up hurting their students and their reps.  It's hard to explain ... but i think people that have had experiences with these schools know what i'm talking about.

But you're pro-UBC Cheeks and that is the most notorious school for doing things differently, or changing their rules every 2 seconds.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 10:22:52 PM »
to honest, i don't knwo anything about UBC so i'm not pro or anti-UBC.  All i know is that it's not in toronto which is currently enough for me.

It's hard to explain how i feel about Mcgill...I'm sure it's a good school...

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 10:31:35 PM »
to honest, i don't knwo anything about UBC so i'm not pro or anti-UBC.  All i know is that it's not in toronto which is currently enough for me.

It's hard to explain how i feel about Mcgill...I'm sure it's a good school...

Hahaha, I'm hoping to get back into the city, and you're hoping to get out!    ;D
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 10:34:40 PM »
man ... UofT just sucks everythign out of you ...

I think i'm a little down on it because I went full-time in the summer and just am really sick of school.  Seems like all i've done for the past 24 months is school and law stuff. 

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 10:36:18 PM »
man ... UofT just sucks everythign out of you ...

I think i'm a little down on it because I went full-time in the summer and just am really sick of school.  Seems like all i've done for the past 24 months is school and law stuff. 

Yeah, I went full-time every summer instead of working (and ironically, am part-timing now in the Fall) and it really sucks, whether it's UofT or anything else.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 10:38:55 PM »
yeah, I dont' know ... I think if i was anywhere (except waterloo) i'd be having a lot more fun.  I know I was when i was at windsor.