Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law School  (Read 4242 times)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
Re: Albany Law School
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2005, 08:17:21 PM »
Just a note to thank you Lady.  It is nice to hear these details from someone who knows the area.  I am planning on living in North Greenbush and driving in so it is good to find out the details on the parking situation.

Keep the information coming! 

Rizz98

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.91/165
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rizz98
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 09:33:59 AM »
Live in Arbor Hill. Plan to be a defense lawyer. You'll be able to recruit future clients while in school!  :D
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

lady_bug

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 09:35:46 AM »
Loulie -

If you are planning to use mainly loans to finance your education I would think twice before renting a $850 plus apartment. ALS only allows $500/month for rent and all utilities when calculating the total cost of attendance (2004-05 figures), so you may not even be able to get student loans to cover it.

And even if you can get the loans, remember, average starting salary for Albany grads is only $48K at private firms, and even less for those who go into government. A $1,000 or more monthly student loan payment is going to be really painful on that salary, so I would try to keep the total amount of loans as low as you possibly can.

I know you are dead-set on the suburbs, so I would take a look at some of the Guilderland complexes instead, Oxford Heights and 1700 Designer Residences in particular, because they are fairly low-priced and very close to Albany. (Also right next door to Albany's main shopping malls, which I imagine is going to appeal to someone with an Elle Woods avatar.)

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2005, 10:16:02 AM »
Loulie -

Just wanted to let you know..I have decided to withdraw and lose my seat deposit at Albany Law.

Good luck with you decision!  I have to now decide between 2 other schools.

:)

LaneSwerver

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2005, 10:21:49 AM »
Loulie -

Just wanted to let you know..I have decided to withdraw and lose my seat deposit at Albany Law.

Good luck with you decision!  I have to now decide between 2 other schools.

:)

You should only lose half--the letters they sent me said if you withdraw by a certain date, they'll give you part of it back.

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2005, 10:55:45 AM »
LaneSwerver -

I have never written a letter to withdraw. Any suggestions of what to put in it?

Thnx.

::)

LaneSwerver

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2005, 11:53:07 AM »
LaneSwerver -

I have never written a letter to withdraw. Any suggestions of what to put in it?

Thnx.

I did it by e-mail. I wrote:

Dear Ms. Bensen,

Thank you very much for your message. I have opted to enroll in another law school for the fall semester. I was quite impressed with the facilities at Albany and your hospitality; I hope you can understand the difficult decision that comes with choosing a school. I greatly appreciate the opportunity you gave me.

They don't want much.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2005, 12:13:14 PM »
LaneSwerver -

Thnx.

I did it by e-mail. I wrote:

Dear Ms. Bensen,

Thank you very much for your message. I have opted to enroll in another law school for the fall semester. I was quite impressed with the facilities at Albany and your hospitality; I hope you can understand the difficult decision that comes with choosing a school. I greatly appreciate the opportunity you gave me.

They don't want much.

I wrote them a very nice rejection letter, thanking them for all the $$$ they offered.  They didn't even respond.

moral of story - short and to the point is fine.

lady_bug

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2005, 01:48:50 PM »
Just curious, Counterpoint, where in Upstate are you from originally?

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2005, 02:40:51 PM »
Just curious, Counterpoint, where in Upstate are you from originally?

not from upstate.  from neighboring state.  HTH