Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law School  (Read 4104 times)

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
Re: Albany Law School
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 08:48:18 AM »
hey loulie, thanks anyway for the apartment info. good to know. I am freaking out about whether or not I need a car. I moved to Japan six years ago right after college and let my license expired which means I couldn't get a car even if I could afford it. I also really do not want to dorm.
I was checking out renterguidealbany.com  and using mapquest to get an idea of how far things are from the school.Maybe this can be helpful to you mpfg. I'm willing to walk up to 30 minutes to school if it's a nice enough place. I wish I did have a car though *sigh*
juristsayswhat?

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2005, 09:17:27 AM »
When I mentioned 10 minutes I meant by car. Sorry I didn't clarify that. The areas right outside Albany definitely gave me a safer feeling.  It is pretty easy to wander in and out of less safe neighborhoods in Albany .........at least that was my experience.  Everyone has a different idea of what is acceptable for them.  As a woman living alone, security is the number one priority for me.  The areas around Albany are a little rural but very pretty and I like the idea that my place will be quiet when I want to study.

RentersGuide Albany is very useful, I picked up a paper copy at a grocery store when I visited and that is eventually where I found my place.

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2005, 10:41:46 AM »
less safe areas??? :o  how unsafe are we talking here? I lived in nyc and bkk so I'm hoping I won't be too phased by downtown albany. but you never know... did u feel you were in danger in those areas or just being on the safe side. must be nice to have a car *jealous glare*
juristsayswhat?

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2005, 12:01:29 PM »
less safe areas??? :o  how unsafe are we talking here? I lived in nyc and bkk so I'm hoping I won't be too phased by downtown albany. but you never know... did u feel you were in danger in those areas or just being on the safe side. must be nice to have a car *jealous glare*

albany largely safe.  like any city there are a few impoverished areas you wouldn't want to live in.  the COL is low all over the place though.  i agree with assessment there are also nice places outside of the city.  with no traffic to speak on, a ten minute commute could probably put you in a nice little house somewhere.

you guys chose a great city to live in.  small, yes, but an underrated gem..  a couple hours from NYC, a couple hours from Boston.. hartford.. springfield..  vermont skiing.  the berkshires..

enjoy it y'all. it's a great QOL.

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2005, 12:14:39 PM »
No you won't be phased by the areas the neighborhoods in Albany.  I don't mean to give the impression that the city is dangerous or scary at all.  I really like Albany.  I am just going for a place a little outside because I am used to suburban life and that is where I am most comfortable.  I can be a scardy cat when I have my own place so I had certain criteria I was looking for that is personal to me. 

Bottom line is that I am sure you will like Albany and the location is great for its proximity to major cities and scenic parts of the North east.

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2005, 07:33:19 PM »
whew! thanks
juristsayswhat?

lady_bug

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2005, 10:52:10 AM »
Hi CClemon,

Those from NYC will be quite pleasantly surprised by how much apartment you can get in Albany for very little $. There are some nice neighborhoods right around the law school, but also some very sketchy areas (anything downhill from the law school, or around the Delaware Ave. Price Chopper: bad idea.) I would look in the area bordered by South Lake Ave. on the east, Madison Ave. on the north, South Main Ave. on the west, and New Scotland Ave. on the south. (It's still nice further west and south, but harder to get around without a car.) This is all single family and two-family houses, or very small apartment buildings with 4-6 units, not big complexes. I lived in this neighborhood for four years as a single female and always felt safe. You can make do without a car at first -- I spent six months here without a car after I totalled mine -- but if you are planning to spend three years here, you'll be *much* happier with one.

mpfg

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2005, 01:03:13 PM »
lady  --
How is the parking situation at ALS?  Is that ever a problem?  Are any of the apt complexes such as Oak Hills or Loudon Arms popular if within budget?  What kind of a drive is it from North Greenbush or Guilderland?  Is nearby best in your opinion and safe to walk in the area you defined?

lady_bug

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2005, 01:59:30 PM »
Should have clarified -- I'm an Albany native and 0L, starting at ALS this fall. So I don't have direct knowledge of what the school experience is like, just second-hand scuttlebutt.

Students do b!tch about the parking situation: apparently only 3Ls are allowed to park in the lot immediately adjoining the law building, everybody else has to park in a lot a few hundred feet away and spots are not guaranteed for everyone. I would guess there'd be sufficient on-street parking nearby, though. Albany is a pretty small town, and anybody used to fighting for a spot in NY/Boston/DC/SF will find parking here a breeze.

Apartment complexes: I have always been anti-complex because I don't feel they offer great value for the price. What do they have that private flats don't? Remember, you're only going to want to use that swimming pool 6 weeks out of the year here anyway ;)

That said, there are some listed on the Renters' Guide that are in nice, safe neighborhoods and convenient to the law school. I can't vouch for the apartments themselves, never having known anyone who lived there, but Adams Park, New Scotland Gardens, Park Row, and Stonehenge Gardens might be worth looking into.

I would *not* recommend Central Towers, Pastures Village, Schuyler Apartments, or Tivoli Park because I consider those areas of Albany to be unsafe. The Hinckel Brewery apartments I recommend with reservations: they are gorgeously rehabbed apartments, and quite close to ALS, but the neighborhood is a little sketchy. Not to be sexist, but if I were a guy, especially a bigger guy, I'd feel fine living there. But as a woman, I'd hestitate.

Personally I think living in-town is the best bet. How else are you going to stumble home after a long night out at the Bar Review? But YMMV. North Greenbush is maybe a 15 minute drive, and you will need to own a car. Guilderland is about 30 minutes away, and again, you will need a car.

And yes, the neighborhood I described in my first post is quite safe, it's considered one of the best in the city (legal disclaimer: I can't guarantee your safety, just expressing my opinion/anecdotal experiences.)

mpfg

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2005, 05:29:11 PM »
Lady--

Thanks soooooooooo much for the info!  Safety is so important!  My cousin is a grad of ALS and speaks so highly of it.  As a native of Albany, what do you hear?  Are students happy there?  Maybe satisfied w/ is better.  Thanks again