Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Law School  (Read 4286 times)

loulielawyer

• View Profile
Re: Albany Law School
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 11:49:26 AM »
Hey CC Lemon -

I am pretty sure I am going to Albany and I have yet to find out anything bad about it either.  I too will be coming to ALS by myself and I know I am a pretty social person so I am sure there will lots of people like us who want to maintain a social life in law school.  It seemed like there were lots of fun bars and restaurants when I visited Albany 3 weeks ago.  I have actually put a deposit on an apartment there already.  I was 100% sure that Albany was my school until 2 days ago when I got accepted to Syracuse.  I definitely have to go check the Syracuse campus out but I am still partial to Albany.

Maybe I will meet you in August!  Good Luck

mpfg

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
How did you find you apt?  Where is it in relation to ALS, and if you don't mind me asking what are the price ranges?   Any recommendations/
Thanks

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 12:32:16 PM »
H ???

Tis Another Day

• AOL Instant Messenger - sunyeo78
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 12:41:38 PM »
Ugh, I just typed all of it prior but it looked like there was an issue when I went to post it.

Let's try again!

I was accepted to Albany and wondering if someone else can share some information they have found out about the school.  I was wondering if anyone found anything negative about the school.  Also, how is the alumni - are the relationships strong?  I didn't sense that while I visited the school - even though they have had some impressive graduates of the school. 

I was also wondering how Albany's reputation faired off nationally?  When I went to the open house, one of my biggest concerns was where I would be getting a position post graduation.  Career Services said that NY (Upstate and NYC), Hartford, and Boston are the biggest cities that recruit out of Albany.  I have absolutely NO desire work Upstate, Hartford, and Boston.  Therefore, I am apprehensive.  I also know the competition is fierce in NYC...and I cannot assume that I will be in the top 10% of the class - because you just NEVER know!! Besides the low median salary - I currently make a substantial amount more than that and cannot be The administration all seemed all so kind.

Thanks you guys.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 07:37:39 PM »
I keep getting e-mails from the alumni association asking me if I'm sure I don't want to send in my deposit. So I guess they exist. Check out the other threads on Albany...I did a trip report and there's another going, too. I don't want to retype everything here.

cclemon

• 2.17,157 (aiya)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 10:21:20 AM »
see you in august hopefully loulielawyer.  yay! I'll know someone.
juristsayswhat?

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 09:47:30 PM »
Hey CC Lemo,

My parents came to Albany with me and we went to the whole accepted students day and then we drove alllllll over Albany looking for adequate apartments that I would feel good living in alone. We drove for 3 hours (because we didn't really know where to look) around Albany.  There is this some dorm style apartments close to campus but these don't appeal to me personally because I want to live by myself and I don't want to risk getting a roomate who will make my life difficult.  I have been out of University for 3 years and I don't think I can go back to the whole dorm thang.......
Also, I didn't see any apartments right around the school that I would want to live in.  I was hoping to get an apartment in a building not a house. 

By now you are seeing how picky I am.  ::)

So we finally realized that there are lots of smaller towns all around Albany with nice apartment complexes.  The commute is not bad from some of these areas such as Guilderland and East Greenbush.  As far as price goes - you can honestly find an apartment in Albany from $450 to $1000 per month based on your budget and standards.  I found a nice new complex 10 minutes from campus. I am happy with it and set to move to Albany.  I just have to see Syracuse and make sure there is nothing pulling me there instead. 

Hope that helps.  It will be nice to know someone ahead of time too! 

loulielawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 09:50:59 PM »
Ooops!  I just realized it was mpfg who asked me about the apartments not CC Lemon.  Sorry!!!!

esquire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 10:13:31 PM »
There's a guy over on Vault.com, Opus something or the other, who's a very bitter Albany grad who never managed to find a legal job.  If you're looking for dirt, I suggest you go over there and ask. 

mpfg

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 06:32:15 AM »
louie--

which one was 10 minutes away from campus that you liked.  Is that by car or on foot.   Nice neighborhood, safe? Thanks!